Sign in to follow this  
uralkemal

a problem with projectiles

Hi i am writing a game using projectiles like worms:). But there is a problem with it. The maximum range must be at 45 degrees for a launched object. But i have problem with it. For example launched object goes in 10 degrees further than 45 degrees. codes: xpos=xpos+cos(angle)*speedx ypos=ypos+sin(angle)*speedy gravity=gravity+0.1 #optional speedy=speedy-gravity #basics of the code thanks...

Your formula is off. The cosine and sine of the launch angle should only be used to initialize the x and y velocities. They should not appear after the initialization at all.

i think i understand what you mean. But can you explain a bit?

edit: Oh it was really helpful! I did it, thanks for your help...

There are other problems: "gravity=gravity+0.1" is wrong. Acceleration due to gravity should be constant. Also, your formulas are not correct (even after computing the initial velocity). Here are the correct formulas for constant acceleration:
    speedy = initial_speedy - gravity * time
ypos = initial_ypos + initial_speedy * time - 0.5 * gravity * time * time
time can be measured from when the projectile was launched or from when the previous frame was displayed, as long as initial_ypos and initial_speedy are computed when time == 0.

Hey, its a must to work with vectors in your situation. If you dont know much about vector math google for it. Better do this way:

//the vector structure
struct VECTOR2
{
float x, y;

VECTOR2(float xx, float yy)
{
x = xx; y = yy;
}

//do some operators for it
VECTOR2 operator + (const VECTOR2& v)
{
return VECTOR2(x + v.x, y + v.y);
}

VECTOR2 operator += (const VECTOR2& v)
{
x += v.x;
y += v.y;
return (*this);
}

}

//then, integrate the position|velocity(they're VECTOR2s) using Euler method(enough for constant acceleration
position += velocity*dt + 0.5f*gravity*dt*dt;//velocity is still v0 here and gravity is the vector [0, -9.81]
velocity += gravity * dt;

Hope this helps