Morphing or Bones

Started by
3 comments, last by Sphet 17 years, 1 month ago
I was just wondering what people's opinions on whether morphing or hierarchical animation is better. I am having a lot of issues with using bone animations and just found out how easy a morphing animation would be. What do you all think? Also, I don't think you can, but is there a way to do ragdoll in morphing?
Advertisement
We use both. Apply a morph for facial details, then apply bone transforms to the morphed mesh for everything else.

As you didn't say what you didn't like about bones I'm not sure if this mixed solution helps you out at all.
Okay. I have been reading Jim Adams' book on advanced animation which explains all of this very well. The only problem is that the command that all of the examples use (i think D3DXLoadMeshFromXof) does not work. If I remember correctly it can not pass the first parameter because his examples use IDirect3DFrame and the command requires D3DXFrame. I guess it could be the fact that that book used an earlier version of the dxsdk. SO I resorted to trying to figure ou the sample code which is not very easy :(
I've never used D3DXMesh, so I can't comment on it. I imagine following my route of making your own custom Max or Maya exporter isn't likely going to be your favorite option. Instead, you could try DirectMesh, from Circlesoft. He wrote it like 3 years ago, but I imagine it should still work just fine. I know he supported mixed bone/morph animations.
I can't imagine you could do ragdoll with morphs - as you know, morphing works by blending from one set of vertex positions to another. Ragdoll allows limbs to be in any orientation, so I can't see this working for a morph system.

We use animation for almost all of our animation. We only enter into morph data for face details or very specific elements that need extra work to look right.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement