Sign in to follow this  
hereticprophecy

Boost Installation

I've heard too much about the boost library to ignore it any longer, so I went to to boost.org and downloaded the library itself. I'm not yet technically literate, so browsing the installation instructions were a bit intimidating. I'm using VC++ Express and want to know what I need to do (in layman's terms, I guess) to let me start learning the ropes. Is it as simple as adding my boost folder as an include path in my project? If possible, I'd like this thread to help others use this acclaimed library, so please, give any and all info you believe to be useful. Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
In my opinion, the simplest way to get Boost installed is to just use the installer on Boost Consulting

Regards,
ViLiO

I've never used the installer, but having just re-compiled boost using bjam, I can say that I'm glad I don't need to do it often.

jfl.

I had no problems. Just install it, and point your IDE or whatever you use at the right directory. For the sake of convenience, I copied the directory with all the headers right into my dev-cpp so I can just #include <boost/blah.hpp> (the headers are all you need for a large chunk of it, notably shared_ptr).

[Edited by - Replicon on March 10, 2007 1:15:10 PM]

Thanks, guys, it's all inside and working. Are there any good tutorials for the libraries? The one on boost.org was a little too esoteric for my own use; in fact, most fall into that category.

Quote:
Original post by hereticprophecy
Thanks, guys, it's all inside and working. Are there any good tutorials for the libraries? The one on boost.org was a little too esoteric for my own use; in fact, most fall into that category.
The Boost site is probably your best bet; it's comprehensive and quite well-organized.

Some of the documentation is a little dense, but much of it is pretty straightforward. The docs for many of the libraries include simple example/test programs demonstrating usage, and/or introductions or simple tutorials that will guide you through the basics.

If you get stuck on something or find something in the docs to be unclear, you can always post back here and ask about it.

Quote:
Original post by jflanglois
Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
In my opinion, the simplest way to get Boost installed is to just use the installer on Boost Consulting

Regards,
ViLiO

I've never used the installer, but having just re-compiled boost using bjam, I can say that I'm glad I don't need to do it often.

jfl.

I just went through installation w/ bjam, but I get a link error: LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'libboost_date_time-vc71-mt-gd-1_35.lib'

bjam gave me a bunch of libraries, but where "-vc71-" is in the error, there's just "-vc-".

I ran bjam with the option -sTOOLS=vc-7_1, like it says on the web page, but every time I do that, I'm told bjam is using the default tool set, mscv. Has anybody else had this problem?

Quote:
Original post by hereticprophecy
Have you tried using the installer mentioned earlier? I found it much easier than using bjam.

I've installed that way in the past, and it does work pretty well.

Unfortunately, I need the interprocess library, which is included only when you check out from CVS. I think it's boost1.3.5, and the installer is for 1.3.1. The only way to build the CVS checkout is w/ bjam, but for some reason, bjam doesn't want to build the libraries the header files want to load. I suspect that getting bjam to build the vc71 libraries requires more than just running bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-7_1" install, as described on the boost "Getting Started" page.