Sign in to follow this  
domin

Playstation 2 - 3d engine

Hi all. I'm looking for cheap, stable 3d engine for ps2. Could somebody recommend something? Thanks for any sugestions.

Moving to Console forum.

To develop non-Linux games on the PS2, you will need an official PS2 development kit from Sony. I believe in order to purchase this development kit, you must first be an authorized Sony developer.

Quote:
Original post by neonic
Yes, and the dev kits from sony are anything but Cheap!

Um, no.

The dev kits from Sony require a series of contracts and a publication deal.

The dev kits, ProDG (a compiler and debugger), and the test kits required are not very expensive. They're tens of thousands of dollars, but since console game developers must spend multi-millions on nearly all projects it is relatively inexpensive. Since smaller companies are likely to pay them per month, it works out to be less than a single developer's salary.

Relative to everything else that goes in to major console game development, the cost of dev kits and test kits is tiny.

Sure comparitively they dont make up much of the cost of development, but that doesn't mean $30k isn't a lot. Especially when sony still own it anyway and nearly every should have one under their desk. Then theres the artist preview machines.

ps2dev.org
Great stuff with lots of homebrew ps2 development
including precompiled compilers linkers and a good sdk.
About the 3d engine i know that someone release a small version of OpenGL
to the ps2 and IIRC it is open-source.
Besides that the company who created the game Rayman(dont remember the name of the company) created Also an OpenGL lib.
Cheers.