Quad Based Wireframe

Started by
2 comments, last by remigius 17 years, 1 month ago
A fairly simple question I think. Is there anyway to make the wireframes in directX quad based? I've done it manually but I'm not getting nearly as good as performance as using Wireframe Mode. Any adivce?
Advertisement
Nope. I belive that under the hood, wierframe mode is done by rendering lines (or triangles) around the edges of primitives anyway.

DOing it manually is going to be your best bet.
Bah! I figured as much, guess I'll need to figure out a way to optimize things. Thanks for the tip off! : )
If you have the original model available, in 3DS MAX (and undoubtedly in other packages) you have some UVW map option that will map a texure onto quads of a mesh. It's been some time since I used it but in MAX 5, I think it's the 'XYZ to UVW' option. Used with a correct texture (just an outline of a square) it can be used to get a retro-like effect like the one below. By using alphatesting on the center of the texture, you can make it a real wireframe.

And yes, I just had to show it off yet again [wink]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement