Sign in to follow this  
Ledoreous

Where to go

I can only assume this is the place to put this question. I'm new to gamedev.net entirely, forums, resources, and all. Accidently stumbled onto it trying to find a resource on cell-shading. Based on everything I've seen and the few posts I've glanced over these seems like the place to be. I've done the VB thing, and have some experience with C & C++. I've more recently decided to more aggresively pursue my desire to create games. Started refreshing my C++ knowledge and am going to school for 3d modeling and animation. The one snag I've run into so far is where to go next. In refreshing my C++ knowledge I've tried to gear it more towards game design and that route has taken me to dos text games, bleh, and windows api programming. I've recently started trying to teach myself how to work with the torque engine in order to create games more on par with what I'm after, the only problem being that its directed @ pc & xbox development. And RPG's being my passion, I've been unable to find something similar for Playstation development. Is there anything available to non commercial developers like torque,ogre, etc that is geared for playstation development? Much appreciated with any nudges in the right direction, my apologies if this is in the wrong area. Many thanks.

In my opinion you need to learn to make games before you make specific kinds of games.

There is, of course, the PS2 linux development kit. However I'm unsure what groundings come with the PS2 dev kit, and i doubt it's much. In my degree we do a few modules on playstation 2 development, and my lecturer has quite an extensive set of tutorials on getting things working on the PS2 on his website:

http://www.hsfortuna.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

However this is only a framework, as far as I'm aware there aren't any free engines for the PS2.

If you wanted to develop something that runs on the PS2 that'd be a good place to go. However I wouldn't venture into console development unless you're happy with PC development. At the end of the day the techniques you're using will be very simmilar.

Even consoles require PC for development. Chances are you are running things on an emulator first for debugging before uploading your game to the actual devkit (btw, consoles devkits are usually expensive).

When making games, there are two things to worry about. One is the game logic, and this has nothing to do which platform you pick, and I suggest you to learn this first. Second is the platform specific logic. The ideal case is: you can take your game logic, and plug it into any platform and it'd still run.

Game logic won't change unless the paradigm of computing itself change, which probably won't happen anytime soon. Platform logic will change over time. New consoles, new API, etc. Which platform you pick is the least thing to worry about unless you want to be an expert on a specific platform.

Bear in mind that there is nothing specific about the PS2 that makes it 'better' for RPGs - it's just that it happens to have had a lot of RPGs made for it. They can be made just as easily for the PC or Xbox - and what I might suggest, in fact, is to get yourself an Xbox 360 and start using XNA Game Studio Express to write games that can be run on it easily.