{
    // implements Savable methods
}
Finally, I have a class that writes a Savable to disk:

class Saver
{
    virtual void save(boost::shared_ptr<Savable> saveMe);
}
Now, there might be the case where SomeClass calls Saver because it wants to save itself because the end user has a subclass that writes to disk in it's own special way. Now, I know I can't call Saver::save() like this:

boost::shared_ptr me(this);
saver->save(me);
because the shared_ptr would try to delete *this when it goes out of scope. And I didn't see any way in shared_ptr to release the pointer. What is a good way to work around this?
Advertisement
You can either use a null deleter and pass it in when you construct your shared pointer, or you can use enable_shared_from_this.

But if you are already using Boost, why don't you take a look at Boost.Serialization?

jfl.

[Edit: You should probably read all of the Programming Techniques for shared_ptr.]
Looks like the null deleter is exactly what I want. The enable_shared_from_this would only work if the class knew that another shared_ptr to *this existed. Thanks for the quick response! Rating++!
You're welcome. Still, I do recommend you take a look at the Serialization library. It does pretty much exactly what you are trying to do, and then some.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement