• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
discover4ash

OpenGL Game Engine

This topic is 4217 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Dear Friends... I am newbie for this area... I am trying to create the Graphics Engine in OpenGL... But Couldn't know where to start and how.. Pleasee Can any one help me in Creating a Graphics Engine...! Thnx in Advance

Advertisement
Right...do you mean you're trying to start using OpenGL to render? If so, you should take a look NeHe's OpenGL tutorials.

If you are actually talking about writing a "graphics engine", I'll tell you right now: the place to start with programming is not creating a render system or game engine. Render systems and game engines, even the relatively simple ones, are large and very, very complex software systems; they take teams of experts years to write.

By all means, start by using a game engine. Get yourself something moddable like Half-Life, Half-Life 2 or Doom 3, download their Software Development Kit (SDK) and modding tools, find yourself some modding tutorials, and start experimenting. Or just start by writing some small, simple games. Starting on a monolithic project you're never likely to finish is bad. However, if you do a series of smaller projects, and finish them, the sense of achievement is great and you'll have something that you can show to others as proof of your skills. As you progress, you can build up to bigger and bigger projects.

Good luck [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!