Sign in to follow this  
Kalagaraz

Water Shader help

I'm trying to create a simple water shader for a game of mine, but don't really know how to approach the issue as I'm new to shaders. I'm going for 2D game with a 3Dish look and thought it would be cool to add a 3D water plane infront of the 2D player area. Here is what I go so far (very horrible textures, just testing with them). http://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?image=successei6.jpg The large bottom part is actually a X,Z quad with 4 vertices, the top sprite is just a screen aligned quad using XNA's SpriteBatch. I want the bottom quad to be a water plane with just simple waves. Where I'm confused at, is I don't know if I just use a simple 4 vertex quad and fake the ripples, waves etc... with just a pixel shader. Or of I make it like 1000 vertices, and acctually make the waves etc... As soon as I get that done, I plan on adding reflections by rendering all the spriteBatch sprites to a render target, and then flipping them and adding to the bottom quad if that effects whether I should use the vertex or pixel shader method. Thanks in advanced for any help.