Stuck on moving forward.

Started by
5 comments, last by Jettoz 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I've been programming in C++ for a long time making Console apps such as Guess a number, Text RPG's with a ton of systems I made (Lv, Hp, Shop, Map, ect...) but I'm stuck on how to move forward in C++. My goal is to get into 2D Programming so I can make a Maze game very much like Pac Man but I'm stuck on where to go. I know my options are: - SDL - Direct X - OpenGL - Allegro I'm not sure what would be easier for someone who has never done win32 graphics programming. I've had a habit to make everything myself from scratch so using someone else’s game engine isn't something I looking to do right now and for a 2D game I don't think there is any point in paying money for any game engine unless I go with 3D later on. Right now I'm looking to start small and build my skill levels up as I progress in Game Programming.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Advertisement
Well DirectX and OpenGL are really for 3D games. A popular approach is to do 2D using 3D hardware acceleration but you don't really need to worry about that right now. I would personally recommend SDL.
I've looked into SDL before and even played a guy orpg that was made with SDL which was amazing. Hopefully SDL will allow me to accomplish my goals.
If you go with Allegro, you'll have access to more than just graphics libraries. It has built-in functionality for control input, graphics, audio, awesome sprite management, and to some extent, optimization. It's simply a matter of learning the different functions involved (much the same as any other library, I'd imagine).

This is a great beginner's tutorial that walks you through the basics of Allegro, including sprite handling and Allegro's datafiles.
Thanks, I'll check that out now. SDL isn't working too well for me with Dev-C++ for whatever reason so I'll try Allegro.
HGE (Haaf's Game Engine) is pretty good. hge.relishgames.com
Thanks for all the replies, right now Allegro is doing great for me, I have it fully installed and working. Right now I'm reading some tutorials to mess around with this library for now. Tesserex thanks for the link, I'm not looking for any game engines right now because I would rather do as much as possible from pure C++ code.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement