New to Game Programming

Started by
7 comments, last by apollodude217 17 years ago
Hi, I'm 16 years old and I want to make my own game. When I was about 12 or so, I decided that I wanted to make my own 3D game. I have now realised that making a 3D game would involve having to program my own Game Engine or buying a ready one, which I can in no way afford. Therefore I just want to make a simple isometric 2D game for Windows first. So, can anyone explain the process from having made the characters (in Photoshop) to having the finished game? I'd like to program it in C++, and I would like to get some advices on how to get started. What compiler do I need etc. In some years when I can afford Maya or 3ds Max and MotionBuilder, I will try to make a 3D game. I'll make the 3D models in Maya or 3ds Max. I've heard about something called "Dark GDK" (http://darkgdk.thegamecreators.com/). Does anyone have any experience with this. What more do I need if I am to create a great 3D game?
Advertisement
For a great 3D game you'll also need knowledge of 3d maths, like vectors and matrices.
Hola!

For me it sounds like you have never programmed(or am I wrong?).
If this is the case I recommend you to first get a grip of a language
and when you got the basics continue into game programming.
I would also recommend an easy one like VB or Python to start with.

About the buying things : There are lots of good open-source 3d engine.
and also some free open-source modelers(Blender).

Cheers.
Hi,
I would suggest starting with python as it is quite powerfull and is easy to learn and once your ready to move on you will have a good grasp of programming concepts. I recommend the book called Beginning python programming for the absolute beginner 2nd edition, though other people will recommend other books.
Start small and work your way up (i.e. don't start with any huge 3D FPS, though I think you allready understand that).
You should learn python well before you continue with trying to make some small games. There is a rather excellent tutorial on game creation that can be found in the beginners section by Geoff Howland.
That was about it.
I just found out that both Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max as well as MotionBuilder can be purchased with a student license. What I'll do I think is to try and get into 3d modelling, as well as programming a simple 2D game. Maybe I'll give Java a shot, because someone told me that it has alot of similarities with C++, but that it is easier. Then in a couple of years I will try to make a 3d game of my own in C++. I think that I'll study math on university which will give me a good base for making a 3d game!
why not shoot go with c#. Its great and new, fast, and similar to c++ as well.

I just started using it and must say its a great language.
Even if you can get 3DS Max or Maya at a reduced price, I would strongly suggest you check out some of the open-source / free modelling tools out there first (such as Blender, as someone already mentioned)... I've been using Blender for about five months now for all my modelling needs and it works fine. 3DS Max has a lot of powerful features (and that justifies its $3500 price tag), but, chances are, in the beginning stages of modelling, you won't use them. At least with Blender, you have a chance to learn the basics without making a monetary investment. I've also used Milkshape 3D as well, and it only costs $25 US for the final product. After a while, if you decide that you need all of those extra features, then get a trial version of 3DS Max first.

Just my two cents.
Blender is as good as, if not better, than anything you would have to pay for. Personally, I can't use anything else..

As for a compiler, I use Dev C++ (free) which uses MingW as a compiler (a windows version of gcc)

For your 2d game i suggest you use allegro (with c++), nice easy to use open source multi platform graphics library.

http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/allegro/

support at:
http://allegro.cc

also, if you want to delve into 3d with allegro there is allegroGL.
http://furboxes.com/forum
Down the road, I predict you'll want to use a C language. C# is a wonderfully happy medium between the ease of Python and Java, and the power and game-industry-standardness of C and C++. Down the road, you'll need its power.

And starting 2D is probably best. I recommend a simple side- or overhead-view game, NOT isometric--at least not at first. Card games and tile-based puzzle games are probably the easiest to make initially, however, a Pong- or Space Invaders-style game will give you an easier step into elements of collision detection, etc. which you'll definitely need in almost any kind of action game you can conceive.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement