Morals - A set of rules?

Started by
31 comments, last by pulpfist 17 years, 1 month ago
I was thinking that if morals can be listed as a set of rules to follow, absolutely anyone could learn to become moraly perfect. Without doubts. Even a computer. Can morals be reduced/factorized down to a set of rules? Does the word morals hold a undeserved glare of unequivocal purity?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by pulpfist
I was thinking that if morals can be listed as a set of rules to follow,
absolutely anyone could learn to become moraly perfect. Without doubts.
Even a computer.

Moral values are relative to a particular context of judgment that decides what is "right" and what is "wrong". It's easy to be "morally perfect" - simply consider everything you do to be "right" in your own mind, and it's trivially moral behavior as far as you're concerned. But it's more interesting to think of moral behavior within the context of what a society or culture (both at a local and global level) considers "right" and "wrong". Then you can actually examine the conflict between multiple sources of morality, i.e. the individual, a community, a religion, etc., which all come into play when we make decisions in our everyday lives.
Why would you want to? Morals only hold you back :-D.
There is only one moral: The Golden Rule.

Everything else is just made up by people pushing an agenda.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
One problem is that "perfect" morals must work under every condition, and I haven't seen a single case where a rule didn't have a set of exceptions. I think it's the ability to gracefully deal with exceptions that makes a ruleset effective. Huh...the phrasing of that makes me wonder if there's a std::moral_exception I can throw.

One of my favorite moral systems was the set of rules for just governance developed by Rawls. His theory was that everyone should have the right to do anything that does not infringe on the rights of others. For instance, you don't have the right to steal, because that infringes on the right to own property.

If you're looking for a more personal "this is right" or "this is wrong" decision, you could try Hedonic Calculus / Utility Calculus, Kant's universalized maxims, or Aristotle's virtue-based ethics. Many times the varying moral systems will lead you to different conclusions, which makes the set of perfect morals you mentioned a matter of perspective.
XBox 360 gamertag: templewulf feel free to add me!
Quote:
There is only one moral: The Golden Rule.

i don't think that this is true.

Imagine a guy who is a little strange, so that he doesn't like sth that the majority of others like. When he follows the golden rule he tries to prevent the other people from sth which is good for them(which is definitely not good)

regards,
m4gnus

"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Start Here
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Well, first of all, a person's morals are fairly arbitrary to begin with. Secondly, humans are the only creatures capable of having morals and consistency is not a hallmark of the species.

A computer already follows arbitrary (and contradictory) rules perfectly.
skulldrudgery--A tricky bit of toil
Quote:Original post by skulldrudgery
Secondly, humans are the only creatures capable of having morals ...

Oh?

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
I think morals is a realatively personal idea. While there are some that are probably accepted by most people, I believe that they are more about personal views of people than anything else. But regardless of the viariances that run from person to person, having any kind of morals is much better than having no morals at all.
"And somewhere at the bottom he fell into darkness. That much he knew. He had fallen into darkness. And at the instant he knew, he ceased to know" Martin Eden, Jack London.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement