PSD / RAW Formats

Started by
6 comments, last by TheUnbeliever 17 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know of a site or even a book that I could study to learn how to load and save psd and raw image formats? I dont need the layers of a psd its just going to be used at a photostudio to display pictures to the customers. Im most concerned with the psd format. I have done some searching but im really not wanted to go purchase anything for this project. Not sure if there is anything else yall need to know except I will be using Visual Basic 2005 Thanks, Silent Also sorry if this is in the wrong section the graphics programming section didnt seem right sense this has nothing to do with game programming.
Advertisement
Wotsit is always my first stop whenever data-format questions arise. Looks like they cover both PSD and RAW, although be careful if you need to support a specific version of PSD.

However, if all you need to do is display an image (rather than actually do anything with the data) you might want to look at image decoder libraries instead. Chances are you'll have much better results with someone else's existing, working image code than with trying to hack up the data by hand - image formats are notoriously picky and loaded with obscure edge cases that are hard to catch when you do it yourself.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Thank you, ill go check that out right now.
Note that RAW is not a format; it's a filetype that specifies an unprocessed block of data. In other words, it is 'raw'. To handle it correctly, you need to know how the software that created it works. In digital photo manipulation, that means knowing how a given camera manufacturer chooses to store their information.
ImageMagick can read/write at least some PSDs - I don't have any experience with how well it supports recent versions of Photoshop, though.
Only reason I thought raw was a format is because I take the photographs in .raw and then open them up in bibble or photoshop and save them as .raw that being the case and from what you said they would have to update there software every month with every new camera that was released wouldnt they? Just wondering....
Thanks
Silent
The RAW format used in photoshop is not the same as the RAW formats used by cameras.
[size="1"]
To clarify: Adobe has some standard RAW file format that they try to encourage manufacturers to use - a few more recent cameras have the option to save to this format. Otherwise, there are a bunch of proprietary and manufacturer-specific formats for RAW.
[TheUnbeliever]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement