C++STL

Started by
13 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 1 month ago
is STL supported on all C++ compilers?
Advertisement
It's a mess in Visual Studio 6, whatever that compiler is called. But it should be fine on all modern compilers.

Which are you thinking of using?
The C++ Standard Library is available in all standards-compliant C++ compilers, more or less by definition. Note that, as alluded to by Dave, Visual Studio 6 is not a standard-compliant compiler.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Moved to For Beginners.
What about on the Xbox 360 or PS3?
Quote:

Yes.
Quote:Original post by blinky41

Huh? What exactly are you asking? Neither of those are C++ compilers. But there are C++ compilers available for those platforms, and if they are standards-compliant, then they support STL by definition. I'm not sure if that answers your question, since I'm not entirely sure what your question was, but such as it is. [smile]
Microsoft's bundled implementation of the C++SL works fairly well on both the Xbox and the 360. Note that you may wish to write custom allocators for STL containers to help alleviate certain classes of performance problems.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Please note that "the STL" is not an appropriate term to apply here. We are talking about the C++ standard library. Being the standard library, it stands to reason that any standards-compliant compiler will provide it.

The STL both includes things that are not in the C++ standard library (such as the function iota(), which fills a container with elements in arithmetic sequence with a difference of 1), and omits (many) things which are in the C++ standard library (for example, all the stream libraries - the STL is concerned with *only* containers and algorithms).
I use the STL as in STandard Library. Its use is so widespread you should probably just let it go, Zahlman.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement