C++STL

Started by
13 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 1 month ago
The term SC++L (Standard C++ Library) is being used a bit, and hopefully catching on. Us 'Engineers' like to use precise and unambiguous terms, therefore the term SC++L should be adopted instead of STL. (Behind Zahlman all the way[smile])

btw, I'm back again after sorting out an issue with resetting my password after the ten day outage a while ago.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by _goat
I use the STL as in STandard Library. Its use is so widespread you should probably just let it go, Zahlman.
Not to be contrary, but redefining the abbreviation STL to mean STandard Library seems a little questionable to me. Can you provide any links to examples of similar usage? (I'm not trying to be difficult - I'm just curious.)

As for encouraging correct terminology, views differ depending on the person and on the particular terminology in question.

Although it's not a direct parallel, the battle over 'binormal vs. bitangent' is a good example of this. I think it's pretty clear that the correct term is to be preferred in this particular case, regardless of how widespread the use of the term 'binormal' in this context might be. Some might argue that the difference between 'STL' and 'Standard C++ Library' is less critical, conceptually speaking. However, a lot of folks on these forums are just discovering the library (whatever you call it), and I don't see why they shouldn't be encouraged to refer to it using the correct term.

Also, if my understanding of current developments in the language is correct, the standard library is in the process of being expanded considerably (see e.g. tr1), in light of which the term 'STL' becomes even less accurate when used to refer to the C++ standard library as a whole.

Again, not trying to be contrary or difficult. However, I do have to put in a vote for proper usage (and the encouragement thereof) in this case.
Quote:Original post by jyk
I use the STL as in STandard Library. Its use is so widespread you should probably just let it go, Zahlman.
Not to be contrary, but redefining the abbreviation STL to mean STandard Library seems a little questionable to me.

Agreed. I prefer SC++L. Contrasting the old term against the new, which makes it clear in no uncertain terms that it's a basic part of the C++ "platform", helps underscore the point being made. "Let it go" my furry behind -- we're using it as a teaching tool, not just terminology nazing.

Quote:Original post by blinky41
is STL supported on all C++ compilers?

The C++ standard, which has been around some 8 years now, mandates that what was known as the STL -- now part of the Standard C++ Library -- be implemented on any platform that can support it. Basically anything with a hard drive. That said, in theory, a compiler for an embedded system such as a handheld can omit large parts of the library.

As others have noted, Visual Studio 6 has a somewhat broken SC++L implementation. It predates the C++ standard, at some 9 years of age, screws up a lot of C++ besides just the library, and generally doesn't find itself listed among things I would consider a C++ compiler.

Especially given there are modern versions of Visual Studio with great C++ support (library included), even available for freely from Microsoft (google "Visual Studio 2005 Express").

Standard Template Library is the correct name - so using it as you do is something I consider as questionable too - specifically because it's quite confusing.

The STL is a subpart of the SC++L (which contains many other things, including C-inheritead headers and a stream library). As per the C++ standard itself (somewhere in chapter 17), the official name of the standardized C++ library is Standard C++ Library - so that's not about using an old name, that's about using the correct one [smile].

And Visual C++ 6 is anything BUT a C++ compiler (for the reason given by MaulingMonkey) . It looks like it can compile some code that looks like a subset of C++.

Regards,
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
The STL is a subpart of the SC++L (which contains many other things, including C-inheritead headers and a stream library).

Only in the sense that C is a subset of C++ (which is to say, not really). :) There are STL things that didn't make it into C++, as I pointed out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement