minimalist game design

Started by
7 comments, last by JBourrie 17 years, 1 month ago
I was wondering... What if all you had was a static world, a player that can run and jump around that world, and maybe some simple "door and switch" functionality. What kind of game could you actually make? Could it actually be fun? Would it make a difference if it was FPS or third person platform game? I'm curious what the community can cook up!
Advertisement
All I can do is run and jump? Sounds like Mario...
Sure you could. It would become a platformer in the purest sense of the word, and the challenge would be in navigating the levels.

N is very close to this concept, and is brilliant.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

wow how did i miss that one? That's a neat looking game and it looks like it has a really strong user-base. I wonder if something like this could be pulled off in 3D.

It seems like jumping has always been done better using a side scrolling 2D angle. Even Crash Bandicoot tried running into the screen but it never felt quite right to me. Mario 64 was amazing but I still think the jumping was wonky; they solved it by having huge platforms that you had little chance of missing.

This may be running on another thread but what would you all think of an FPS platformer? Has it been done? The closest I could imagine is maybe Metroid Prime.
Quote:Original post by empyreansd
I was wondering... What if all you had was a static world, a player that can run and jump around that world, and maybe some simple "door and switch" functionality. What kind of game could you actually make? Could it actually be fun? Would it make a difference if it was FPS or third person platform game?

I'm curious what the community can cook up!

I haven't the time to do it, but maybe someone could cook up a little game with just those abilities and a level editor. Then, they could challenge the community to make interesting levels with only the tools provided.
Have you seen Lode Runner (The Legend Returns/Online)?

It's an old 2D game that's actually a bit more complicated than what you present here, but it is rather minimalist. You can't attack your enemies directly and your only means of offense can blow you up too if used incorrectly. N was largely inspired by it.

Also, navigating levels can be more challenging than you think. Most games are actually very simple: hit things and they die. Navigating platforms and judging distance is far more complicated than just hitting targets but is done at a more innate level. Really, the benefit of minimalist design isn't that it creates a simpler game, it's that it creates a more natural one. Really and logically, every part of design should be minimalized to its base components: the easy it is for the player to grasp the better it is. Execution is another thing, but the challenge shouldn't be in figuring out what to do in a game like a platformer, it should be doing it, IMHO.
::FDL::The world will never be the same
A static world,you can collection resources,rescues man.It's a mission!
In this process,you must avoidance monster,for security!then,you can run and jump!
A new map ,a new mission !like super mario !
Quote:Original post by empyreansd
This may be running on another thread but what would you all think of an FPS platformer? Has it been done?

Any game that requires you to accurately land on platforms, played from a viewpoint where you cannot see your feet, is going to be a failure.

In fact FPSs that have platform sections for variety regularly get lambasted for it. A whole game that did it? Count me out.

The first ever 3D platformer was first-person. Jumping Flash, for the PS1. It was just re-released on PSP.

Quote:I haven't the time to do it, but maybe someone could cook up a little game with just those abilities and a level editor. Then, they could challenge the community to make interesting levels with only the tools provided.

Numa

Also check out: Jumper Redux for a good example of a minimalist platformer. Excellent game, hard as hell.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement