Sign in to follow this  
dvwatkins2000

rpg data management

dvwatkins2000    122
Im trying to create a flash rpg. not sure if it's going to be online or as an executable but im trying to come up with a way of data mangement. Im a great oop programmer and i know basics of data management as my main job is the lead flash developer creating flash based elearning using a custom lms. However, i'm not an expert by any means when it comes to data management and structuring. I'm trying to figure out the best way to store all the characters, items, spells, etc... Also a way to save multiple instances of the game. That way they can start over with another character without losing the previous one. I have the story and all that pretty much created and am now to designing the actual game. i have a simplistic battle system created, but so far the data (character, monsters, etc...) is all hard coded. Any suggestions would be appreciated. also, it doesn't neccesarily need to be a database.

Programmer101    199
Well, myself i've never done anything in flash but i'll tell you what I would do in a cpp program. You have a main datafile with a class for items,people,areas etc. and you put all of your data into a big master file.

Then, for a save game you make the saves like plugins or mods that modify the master file's data within the game. For example, if one dude is alive at the beginning he will be alive in the master file. However if you killed him in your save game you store his object in the save file so that when the game loads the save he is killed. This way you wont have to store all of the data multiple times.