Sign in to follow this  
Qbound

Running program und XP when compiled on Vsita with VS8

Qbound    122
Hi, my system: Vista, DX Feb, .Net2, VisualStudio 8 (EnterpriseA) Problem: On my Systems everything runs very smooth and perfromant. But on a windows XP system with the following installations it says that the program isnt correct installed and the user has to reinstall it on the system. XP, DX FEb, .Net2 The Program: Mathlib as static lib 3DEngine as Multithreaded DLL (using the Mathlib) Game as exe which is using only the Engine.Dll One Solution: I have installed VS2003 on my old Laptop (XP, DXFEB, .Net2) than i have created a new workspace for VS2003. Compiled every Part (Mathlib, Engine, Game) and the game was correct compiled and ran on the systems. So far so good. Buuuut it is awsomly slow about 10-15times slower than normal. Question: How do i configure my VS2005 settings so that i can produce files that will run performant on 'older' systems? What was done: I have searched the web and found some information about the manifest and on some MFC80.DLL wich i have to distribute because of the reason that there are WINSxS now. But that dosen't work for me... I tried to search this forum as well but i dont have the right words in my mind to type it in the search to reduce the result on less than hundred... Thanks for your help...

BradDaBug    913
I had pretty much the same problem, only it was trying to distribute a simple .exe compiled with VS8 and XP to other machines that didn't have VS8 installed. The way I finally got it to work was change "multithreaded dll" under the "code generation" option to just "multithreaded." I think that statically links to the new VS8 runtime libraries instead of dynamically loading them. So that might be an option.

I'm guessing you've already seen this.

Excors    715
You can just copy the four files from VC/redist/x86/Microsoft.VC80.CRT (msvc?80.dll and Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest) into the application's folder, and it should work on XP and 2000.

VS2003 shouldn't be significantly slower than VS2005 - perhaps you're accidentally compiling in Debug mode rather than Release?

Qbound    122
hi,

i have copied the 4 files to the application folder and tried to start the program but the problem was the same. (Couldn't start the application... reinstall may help).
Then i have changed the codegeneration settings to multithreaded and i got the compiler error that /MT and /clr are incompatible. May be right but i don't find a switch to turn the CLR of...

Thanks for the hint

Excors    715
Ah, I guess it's different if you use the CLR rather than real C++ - presumably there are a lot more things to go wrong than just the CRT, but I don't have any experience here so I'm unsure what to do.

Xai    1848
actually there are less things to go wrong with CLR ... but that's another story.

1. Does the machine you are trying to run on have the .NET 2.0 framework installed?

Qbound    122
the targetmachine has the following specs:
- WinXP SP2
- all current Patches for xp
- DX Feb2007
- .NET 2.0
- VS2003 EnterpriseA
- now the vcredist_x86.exe from the vista client

With all the patches etc and the msvc?80.dll ... the game quits with the same boring message. (This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling application may fix this problem.)

At the moment i try to create a new workspace on VS2005 and use the multitreaded /MT in the compiler settings from the beginning. Hope this will compile.

Another solution is to install VMWare on my Vista with XP and VS2003 and compile the application in the VM. Has anybody experience on this?