Linux who?

Started by
33 comments, last by Rulzern 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by Rhaythe
My Reviews:

Fedora Core:
For some reason, this distribution always leaves a bad taste in my mouth if I ever use it for anything more than a no-X server package. From init-3, I find it's easier to configure services through chkconfig. From a desktop perspective, though, it just feels half-baked. Though I imagine any X11/Xorg instance you have up and running is only as good as the amount of time you put into it. But, "out of the box", Fedora doesn't impress.

I like FC6, but then again I'm using a laptop with the world's most incompatible soundcard. FC6 is one of only 2 distros I've ever seen that actually support it all, let alone straight out of the box.

Once you get it off the ground, you'll find it ships with everything and more to come. I'll probably regret it later, though [grin]. I use it because of the gcc command line, and the fact that Linux as a general rule comes with/has available in some form the kitchen sink and much more when it comes to software development.

Quote:
I've tried Fluxbox and installing KDE as an afterthought, but both seem out of place. While I doubt Kubuntu will be much different, that's next on my list.

I used normal Ubuntu with KDE, and it was fine. I've heard Kubuntu's awful, from various people, and many believe that normal Ubuntu with KDE is the way forward.

I can't personally see the difference, though.

Advertisement
I use OpenSuse 10.2 and I’m happy with it, I had a hard time setting up wlan but installing nVidia drivers was easy.
Currently using ubuntu edgy, although I've had a decent amount of problems getting my ATI card to get along with it. I just posted on the ubuntu forums today, hopefully I can report back that I got it fixed...
I personally use Debian GNU/Linux on various architectures.

The Linux Documentation Project is likely still the best place to learn pretty much everything about GNU/Linux and the software available to it. You'll probably find the various guides most useful if you take the time to read them.
Well I installed Ubuntu and followed this article
and installed GRUB on hd0,1 but it seems to install it in the MBR instead
so now every time i start my PC i get the GRUB menu so is there
anyway of restoring the normal windows boot loader?
No one has mentioned Slackware yet :P

The only things that have brought down my slackware systems are:

Hardware Failure
Extended power outages (I have UPS's, but no generator)
and moving to a new apartments.

However, the caveat is that slackware is not for the faint of heart. If you don't know how to compile from source packages, it's not for you. But damn is it stable.

--Zims
Quote:Original post by Zimans
However, the caveat is that slackware is not for the faint of heart. If you don't know how to compile from source packages, it's not for you. But damn is it stable.

If you're going that frame of mind, go for Solarus. Sure, it may burn your eyes and shorten your lifespan and give your cat cancer, but it is absolutely rock-hard stable and impossible to bring down. ;)
--- ---Current Project: http://source.dev-null-productions.com/tw/"Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."
I actually use FreeBSD for checking code compatibility, cause I figure if my code compiles and runs on Windows, OS-X, BeOS and FreeBSD, its compatible enough for anyone. Although some of it no longer runs on BeOS due to lack of certain library ports ... much of it still does.

I use FreeBSD as my server, so I just added it to my list of build clients. I don't use it as my desktop.

For desktop I have used Mandrake and SUSE with much success over the years, but both occasionally have their bad apple release. I've also used Gentoo, but I no longer enjoy spending time getting setups right, so I pick distros based on amount of time from formatting the drive, to downloading (from subversion) building and running a simple OpenGL game written in ruby and C++.

After that stage is reached, I have to say I like debian apt-get for package management.
If you're using XP and want to restore its bootloader, just boot off your XP cd and use the recovery console (F10 or R key). Once you get to the command prompt, use the command "fixmbr".

Gentoo is the name of the "compile everything from source locally" distribution.
Well, I've just acquired a Sony Vaio laptop with a PI processor. Now my questions is what should I go with? Ubuntu or BSD? If BSD, netBSD or freeBSD?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement