I am new to Game development/design

Started by
9 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi all how is every one hope u r all ok .. I am new to this forums as well as this part of knowledge .. I aspire to be a game developer or a game designer (mainly developer and walk the ladder to desinger) I know how to work in 3D Studio Max started learning basic but left it then went to python and left it too The question is Which language is the best for game making ?
Advertisement
Python seems popular on here for beginners. More recent beginners will i'm sure be on here to give first hand advice :)
so i continue in python ? but that will allow me to design/make 3D games and help me with 3D studio max ? as all the games i seen on Pygame are made into 2d only or that is a route i have to walk and then swith to 3d ?
Quote:Original post by solidsnake_m16
so i continue in python ? but that will allow me to design/make 3D games and help me with 3D studio max ? as all the games i seen on Pygame are made into 2d only or that is a route i have to walk and then swith to 3d ?

You should be able to make 3D games. For example, Ogre3d has bindings for Python: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/PyOgre
Start off making something simple. 3D games are tough to start with, but you could get a simple 2D game with Python rolling in fairly short order. If you are dead set on making a 3D game, check out the NeHe tutorials (http://nehe.gamedev.net/). I'm not sure, but I think there are python versions of these tutorials out there somewhere.

Good luck and welcome to Gamedev.net!
Will Miller | Game Designer | Big Huge Games
Python and C# are the 2 I see most common for learners the past few years. Less popular for newbies, but still used are C++ and Java. And I also personally use ruby, which is a lot like python but I like the syntax better (although there are less helper sites for it, so probably it is less appropriate for first learning).
My suggestion would be C/C++ you'll find that most of the game related SDKs and examples are in C/C++.
Well, the language that is used MOST for game development is actually C++ (ok...professionally...but still a lot of indies use it). The thing is, C++ is not really a beginner friendly language. It can be. You just need to put A LOT of time into it. I learned C++ as my first language, and I did just fine I believe, though I did notice that while people were using simpler and easier languages to put out games, I was still on text-based stuff learning some of C++'s advanced stuff. This is because C++ is a complex language...no doubt.

If you feel that you think you can go ahead and do C++, then give it a shot! It's not impossible for a beginner to learn, but I am not going to lie. It won't be really easy at all. If you feel you want to try another language before C++, then C# is a very good choice. It has C/C++ syntax, and it is pretty easy to jump right into. Also, after you feel like you know C# pretty good, you can learn the XNA Framework. This framework allows you to do game development pretty easy, and it also lets you develop for the 360.

I hope that helps.

Chad.

Thanks to all of you, i already began lil in C++ and i was like O.o what is going on so i am gonna give it another try if not then i will take C# as u guys said , one last question and will stop my eritating happit, errr after i learned the language, now what ? (or is that way ahead of me ?)
I'm an aerospace engineer, so not trained in computer science properly. I found that just biting the bullet and learning C++ properly and spending the time to really seek help and dig in on difficult problems has made me a strong learner. Also, i recently applied to game developers and found that all my C++ knowlege got me some offers (even with only a Masters in Aero).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement