Question about Labels in assembly language.

Started by
2 comments, last by CTar 17 years, 1 month ago
I know that a label can be up to 32 characters long but does this include the colon (:) that is supposed to be associated with it? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
: is generally not considered a part of a label (EDIT: Generally means 99.99% chance). Of course we have no idea what language you actually talk about. Saying it's assembly is like saying it's an European language we need to know whether it's x86 assembly, whether you use MASM, NASM or TASM, etc.
How about trying to make a label which is 32 long without the colon. If the assembler complains then the colon is included.
Thanks for the quick response.

As for the language, I'm just talking about in general as I'm currently trying to understand it.
Quote:Original post by Mindripper2000
Thanks for the quick response.

As for the language, I'm just talking about in general as I'm currently trying to understand it.

In general there is no 32 character limit. In general assembly languages doesn't even have labels. Of course all popular assembly languages for the x86 does have labels, but I doubt all of them has a 32 character limit.

I think you can assume that the colon isn't a part of the label, I have never heard of any assembly languages where that was the case and I see no reason for the assembler to do so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement