Hello Everyone

Started by
3 comments, last by OrangyTang 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi. Some may remember quagmire. This is him, only on the new account. I haven't been on in ages, and forgot which email account I used for him to recover the password. Anyways, I was wondering what to use for Java. Like what compiler to use. I also was wondering where some good online tutorials may be. Thanks everyone. -Giggity giggity goo
Advertisement
I've only ever used Sun's JDK. For an IDE, I use Eclipse. Netbeans is also a rather popular IDE. If you're looking for something more light-weight and simpler, jGrasp is decent.

As for tutorials, Sun has a set of tutorials on their site. Here.
A Google search finds many more. Here.

I've never done any hardcore game programming using Java, only a few really basic games that I've written using Swing for class. If it would be any help, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the code for those.

I've heard of SDL and OpenGL bindings for Java, but I've never used them.

There is also a Java forum on this site, which I've gotten some great answers to a few of my issues while working on various projects.

I hope this was of some help.

Good luck,
chryzmo

I'm quite a fan of the JCreator IDE

It's pretty lightweight, but it does allow for more complex programming.

Eclipse is definitely an excellent option, if you want raw power, with lots of extensions. It gets a bit clunky, but, with addons, you can work purely out of Eclipse, and it allows for multiple languages.
Quote:Original post by Chryzmo
I've only ever used Sun's JDK. For an IDE, I use Eclipse. Netbeans is also a rather popular IDE. If you're looking for something more light-weight and simpler, jGrasp is decent.

As for tutorials, Sun has a set of tutorials on their site. Here.
A Google search finds many more. Here.

I've never done any hardcore game programming using Java, only a few really basic games that I've written using Swing for class. If it would be any help, send me an e-mail and I'll send you the code for those.

I've heard of SDL and OpenGL bindings for Java, but I've never used them.

There is also a Java forum on this site, which I've gotten some great answers to a few of my issues while working on various projects.

I hope this was of some help.

Good luck,
chryzmo
Thanks man. Good thing SDL can be used in Java. Cause when I was doing some C++ I was doing some SDL with it. I also have downloaded the Java SDK, just got to install it now. Thanks again man.

Quote:Original post by quagmirev2
Thanks man. Good thing SDL can be used in Java. Cause when I was doing some C++ I was doing some SDL with it. I also have downloaded the Java SDK, just got to install it now. Thanks again man.

Don't bother with SDL for java, all the functionality is already available in proper Java libraries - Java2D (part of the standard JRE) covers everything SDL's 2d libraries provide, and LWJGL provides OpenGL access.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement