Howd You Learn Python?

Started by
17 comments, last by biggjoee5790 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi this is a question for anyone who learned Python as their first language. Im curious as to what books you used to learn. Ive found plenty of books that teach the language to people who already know how to program and just want to pick up a new language. I need something that teaches Python to a beginner at programming. Ive found some online tutorials but most seem incomplete. I want something thats all inclusive and has some good exercises so I can actually make programs and get better and not just read.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by biggjoee5790
Hi this is a question for anyone who learned Python as their first language. Im curious as to what books you used to learn. Ive found plenty of books that teach the language to people who already know how to program and just want to pick up a new language. I need something that teaches Python to a beginner at programming. Ive found some online tutorials but most seem incomplete. I want something thats all inclusive and has some good exercises so I can actually make programs and get better and not just read.

I learned by reading Wesley Chun's Core Python Programming. While it assumes you have some programming experience, it starts out pretty simple, really. You might try browsing through it at the bookstore to see if it suits your needs. It covers a lot of territory.
http://ronneymarshall.com
I used the introductory tutorial on python.org -- there's a bunch of them there.

It has some exercises, and practicing will help out a whole bunch.
I started out with How To Think Like A Computer Scientist: Learning With Python. Python was not my first language however, although I do think the book would be at least reasonable for a beginner. I also second the recommendation of looking at the tutorials on python.org, they're a pretty good resource.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Ok Ill check the Pytyhon website as well as the Core Python Programming book. And by the way I have the book "How to think like a computer scientist, learning with python" on my pc. I downloaded it a while ago I just wasnt sure If it was suited for a beginner
It's cool that you like to learn python. Good luck!
I propose the book "Dive Into Python"...I believe it's a nice book, but if it costs money I won't suggest it, you can learn for free.

Mikle
Mikle
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
I started out with How To Think Like A Computer Scientist: Learning With Python.

I second that document. Its fantastic :-) After this I worked (and bought ;-) ) with "Dive Into Python", which is just a great book :-)

--
Yea Im going to work through the book "How to think like a computer scientist.."
Ive been using it for a while now and its pretty good. Can you guys recommend any good exercises for me to do? Maybe some ideas for programs I can create, using what Ive learned so far? I know alot of the Python basics, (variables, operations, functions, booleans, If, Elif, Else, While) I just need some ideas of what I could do to really get sharp at making simple programs. I made programs that were a guessing game where you guess the number the game is thinking, Ive made a 1-10 multiplication table that lines up like a grid, Ive also made a Login type program where you can designate a user and password and the program saves it, then you can "login" with your info. I just want to get better and quicker at this simple stuff. Sometimes, when I want to make something like the programs Ive explained, it drives me insane just to figure out how to begin coding them. Obviously thats normal since im a beginner, but some good exercises should help me alot
Try a guess the number program where the user guesses a number and the program has to guess it. The computer can play this 'perfectly' with a worst-case of log2 N guesses where N is the range for the number.
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:Original post by TheUnbeliever
Try a guess the number program where the user guesses a number and the program has to guess it. The computer can play this 'perfectly' with a worst-case of log2 N guesses where N is the range for the number.

This might be because I havent learned enough yet, but Im really not sure of what you mean :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement