New Game Idea - How to Implement?

Started by
24 comments, last by Ravyne 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by Jettoz
Telling someone of a great RTS idea and going into details with units and what not . . .

Right there, it ceased to be just an idea, it started to take shape of a design document.

It is not smart to share a design document, but unless your idea is so simple that it contains the design in itself (for example: http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/)
you can safely share it with others as it is not worth much on its own.

-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Advertisement
Thinking of the game idea is the MOST FUN and EASIEST part of making a game. Why would anyone rob themselves of it by, "stealing" and idea?
Sure is a big 'ol world.
"detailed description of game" != blueprints
source code == blueprints
code==design

Giving away source code is (generally) the road to no money. For example right now I am making a new programming language. It is awesome. It has elegant syntax, functions as truely first class objects, arbitrary nesting of any sort of expression, multiple dispatch and a whole bunch of other great stuff. I have no fear that you will steal my idea because I really didn't give you enough to get anywhere.
Quote:Original post by Foot Soldier
Thinking of the game idea is the MOST FUN and EASIEST part of making a game. Why would anyone rob themselves of it by, "stealing" and idea?

Why would anyone walk down the street and pick up a lost wallet then keep the $100 bill instead of handing it into the police department or phoning the person and returning in it (Depending if ID is in the Wallet). It's easier to steal something than to come up with a good idea on your own or as I shown above get a job and work, I shouldn't even have to answer that question.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Quote:Original post by Jettoz
Quote:Original post by Foot Soldier

Why would anyone walk down the street and pick up a lost wallet then keep the $100 bill instead of handing it into the police department or phoning the person and returning in it (Depending if ID is in the Wallet). It's easier to steal something than to come up with a good idea on your own or as I shown above get a job and work, I shouldn't even have to answer that question.

You missed his point by miles. Earning 100$ is not fun, thinking up a game idea IS FUN, extremely fun.

The point he is trying to get across is that everyone has ideas. Ideas, require no work, they are just that, an idea, a thought that has momentarily appeared in your mind. There is no work involved (other than subconscious). If there is someone completely without ideas then I would imagine they lead a very empty and sad life.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Ideas are simply intangible. The difference between Nintendo giving up the designs to the SNES and anyone with a "great" game idea is this: Nintendo had the capacity to brink their vision into being.

If, in 1990, I had said: "I'm planning to build a console around a 16-bit 65816 processor, 128k SRAM, a custom video processor, this Yamaha Sound chip thingy and these other bits." its still a worthless idea, because I lack the capacity to bring it into being. Plain and simple. Nintendo made this system so, and it was great. Worthless in one set of hands, spectacular in the other.

By all means, if you have an idea you'd like to save then sit on it. But for those who sit on ideas with no capacity or intention to make them something, well, they can sit on it too (and spin.)

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement