Texturing...is it easy to do?

Started by
10 comments, last by ryguy4377 17 years ago
I need to make some money, and I thought I'd give texturing a try. By making textures and putting them out there for people to buy. Is it easy? How is this done exactly? Any help would be appreciated.
redcloud@adam.com.auSODALIS looking for talented and dedicated tileset and sprite artists. www.sodalisrpg.com
Advertisement
ROFL !

I want to win a nascar racing. I have no clue about driving though. Is it easy? How is this done exactly? Any help would be appreciated. XD

See the point? ;)
tilesets games spriteshttp://www.reinerstileset.de
The first recommended requirement for texturing is to be a somewhat skilled artist. Second, you need to be familiar with a digital graphics paint program, such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or the likes. Third, you need to know what texturing is, what techniques you can apply to your own textures, and in general you need to understand what texturing is all about--for this, I can only recommend reading a book (maybe this one? I don't know; I'm not a texture-artist). Fourth, you will need a website to market your textures. And finally, you will need to get your name out there--probably the most difficult task, as there are many professional texture-creating businesses around whose experience you will have to compete with. Maybe offering your textures for free for a little while will be a good way to spread your skills? Just some ideas. Use what you will.

[Edited by - Omega147 on March 18, 2007 3:20:07 PM]
Texturing is like coloring things in photoshop plus understanding how they can be wrapped around a really complicated 3D object. If you can do both of these you can learn to do texturing fairly easily. But an immediate problem I can see with your question is the idea that you create textures and then people buy them - that's not how it works. Textures have to be created for specific models, which means you have to get hired by someone who has a model and make textures specifically for it. This is one of the freelancing things I do, and let me tell you that in the past year I've only seen 2 or 3 adds for people offering actual money for textures.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I've always wondered about the wrapping part. Do the artists just have to guess to where the texture will wrap, or is there a real-time program that shows you?
Figure at least a couple years until you could even think of selling your textures.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Quote:Original post by Daniel Miller
I've always wondered about the wrapping part. Do the artists just have to guess to where the texture will wrap, or is there a real-time program that shows you?

Usually the model artist will "unwrap" the model, which is making a 2d image that shows where the texture will be applied. The texture artist then paints over that,

I'm in the process of unwrapping a model now, I can upload it when I'm done if you want to see a raw unwrap.
There is a lot of guesswork involved unless you happen to have enough 3D knowledge and a 3D program and a copy of the particular model, so you can test how the unwrapping/wrapping works. So far it's taken me 3 drafts on humanoid textures to get everything placed perfectly. First draft often has things rotated 45 degrees around the body from where they should be, things that curve wrong, and things that are too high or low, too big or small.

Here's one I'm almost done with (I just did the clothes, not the skin). The model is Ava, sold at GarageGames among other places.

Concept Line drawing was traced from a screenshot of the model. I was asked for sexy fantasy armor, elven or fairy-ish. Sketch was approved by the game designer, and I was provided with a nude texture and an example clothed texture.

Texture 2nd draft. Placement is almost finalized (still a slight problem with the neck/shoulder area), have switched from initial flat colors to textures, but shadows and highlights have not been added yet. Note how this unwrapping 'cheats' - there is only one arm texture and one leg texture, which are mirrored for the other side of the body. It is thus impossible to create clothing with one arm different from the other, or one leg different from the other. Also, it is impossible to put this character in a skirt without having a modeler add a skirt to the model and unwrap a new texture for that. Ditto for any other type of clothing which would need to extend from the body - basically I'm limited to skintight pants and shirts, or shorts and corsets. This was my attempt to fake a micro-miniskirt, but it looks strange from some angles.

Texture on the model

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks guys.
Woops, didn't log in.
But, thanks for the help.
redcloud@adam.com.auSODALIS looking for talented and dedicated tileset and sprite artists. www.sodalisrpg.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement