Deeper Dungeons

Started by
14 comments, last by Matt Lloyd 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello All, Here is something I've put together recently. It is a very simple 1 player dungeon bash. Objective is to get as many points as you can before running out of health (it gradually ticks away like in Gauntlet as well as when enemies hit you - and there are no health packs). Points are scored by collecting treasure in the form of coins, treasure chests and for eliminating enemies. The enemies present are goblins, skeletons, ghosts, warlocks, black knights and monstrous fiends. Collecting swords increases your damage dealt to enemies and collecting armour reduces damage inflicted by your enemies. Furthermore you are unable to go back to a previous room after exploring a new one - you can only advance further into the dungeon (many paths though) 1st Gameplay hint - each successful strike inflicted upon an opponent doubles your damage inflicted (up to 4x) until you are struck by an enemy at which point it reverts to standard damage. 2nd Gameplay hint - if your character is flashing lots of colors then he is invulnerable temporarily to enemy weapons Gameplay feature - Dungeon is generated randomly as each room is entered (6 basic rooms although many combinations of contents of rooms) - *HOWEVER* - if you traverse the same path (ie go through the same doors) in different game sessions the contents will be identical. This is deliberate as it still allows both exploration of new territory and the chance to test your skill at beating your high score against a particular 'seeded' dungeon. A simple screen shot is as shown here: simple screenshot Viewpoint is 2d isometric. No more than 32MB video memory is required Download is 24MB (uncompressed size is 36?) - the size is mainly due to the number of animation frames on the sprites. Load times may be slow on integrated video cards, particularly on laptops although not 100% certain of this. Download here: Deeper Dungeons How to Play: Run Setup.EXE to select if fullscreen or windowed, and input method (and then game will start). Game is designed for joystick (Left Thumbstick if GamePad) and Button 1 to "Attack" and works best with that. Other Input Methods are: Keyboard - Cursor Keys (arrow keys) and Space Bar to hit things Mouse - Left mouse to move walk, Right mouse to strike things - I can't stand mouse control myself and this game was not really designed for it. Run IsoEngine.exe to start the game with current settings. What I Am After - If anyone enjoys playing it then let me know what your highest score was? IF anyone feels like making some rooms themselves, out of the goodness of their heart, then let me know ('cause they're very bland at present) ;). How it runs on your system - smooth or choppy, long load times or quick? Any problems or issues (it probably doesn't like ALT-TABBING in fullscreen but fixing that is probably beyond me)
Advertisement
Ran flawlessly for me - good framerate, very smooth. I played one complete game and got somewhere around 25000 points.

Where did the art/animation come from? It's very nice!

The load time seems fine for the initial load, but are you doing any sort of resource caching from level to level? I think faster load times between levels would improve the flow of the game a little.

I noticed on one occasion that the 'floating guy' in the white robe walked through a couple of walls. Not sure if this was intentional.

Very nice job overall - congrats!
Ran fine for me windowed on my laptop. Level loading only took 3 secs. One trick you could do with that is cache the next possible levels during the current level is being played. I got up to 10k before i needed to go shopping. I liked the dragon guys, that was a surprise :)
Very entertaining indeed.

Ran very smoothly on my machine.

Nice work.

[Edited by - jjhavokk on March 18, 2007 3:04:29 PM]
current projectswww.dreamwagon.com/dev
Phenomenal. :)

I managed to scrape by to 84210. Ran great, excellent visuals and style, excellent sound, but the doors were a bit touchy and for most of the duration I was playing my character was flashing different colors and I couldn't figure out why (I didn't notice picking up anything that made me invincible). The red text that comes up just before entering another room is not displayed long enough to read. The advice above about loading should also be taken into consideration.

But yes, overall, I'm not getting rid of this any time soon.
when you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Hello all, thanks for the positive feedback (and constructive criticisms)

jyk - the animations are rendered characters (& props) from daz3d rendered in poser 4 - the animation cycles include walk,attack,struck,idle,dead and in total each creature/character has about 800 frames of animation (approximately) The 'floating guy' is supposed to be an ethereal/ghost like creature so it is intentional that they float through walls. Perhaps I should have made them semi transparent (easy to do so but will have quite an impact on framerate I fear).

Thanks Rand & jjhavokk - glad to see you enjoyed it.

oscinis - that's a very good score my best so far is around 60,000 - were you using a joystick, keyboard or the mouse? The flashing different colors occurs when specific scores are reached - the red text before entering another room I will fix so it lasts a few more seconds. I agree that the doors are not quite right yet, needs some tweaking.

Glad to see people enjoyed it and that it runs smoothly on your machines.

Regarding the level load times -
I will see if I can optimise it - I'm pretty sure that I can but I won't be able to precache the levels..yet.

Thanks,
Matt
Good job! Very well done!

No problems/bugs found. Looks very polished.

I cannot resist the feeling that your game is only a beginning of some larger project?
Played a couple more times today and finally managed to break 60000 (I'm curious as to how oscinis made it to 80000 on his first try! :-)

A couple people already commented on the doors, but I'll mention that on a few occasions I crossed the 'door threshold' inadvertently while in battle or as a result of being knocked back by an enemy attack. I'm wondering if there would be a way to give you more control over when you exited a room (especially since you can't go back the way you came). I just hate having to leave treasure and other goodies behind :)

A few more sounds would add a lot as well - perhaps death sounds for some of the other creatures? (I noticed that the goblins have one, but I didn't notice any others.)

The game is really quite fun and engaging. I hope you keep working on it - 'looking forward to the next version.
Quote:Original post by Matt Lloyd
oscinis ... were you using a joystick, keyboard or the mouse?

I was using an (official) Xbox 360 controller. Worked right off without any hassles, left analog stick to move and A (bottom button of the diamond) to attack.
when you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Excellant game! 67530 on my first try.
I never found any defense upgrades though =( but my offense was +4 before I got slaughtered by the demons. [grin]

Ran pretty smoothly on window screen for me, didn't try fullscreen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement