Sign in to follow this  
juanmanuelsanchez

Creating Clouds

hi ! Well Im trying to create clouds for my game engine, so I need a some feedback. The idea is to have a realistic sky, even if you wont see it much (since its a sport simulator) I would like to have clouds moving around the skydome and projecting shadows on the ground. Of course they need to be different from each other. So wich is the best approach ? I have the perlin noise function generator working on the engine. I was thinking of using it for the alpha transparency part) , but how do I create random cloud textures? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks!

http://freespace.virgin.net/hugo.elias/models/m_clouds.htm

Cloud creation using perlin noise - if you have a perlin generator already, it shouldn't be too difficult to get in :)

Use the results as both the sky box texture, and the shadow map for you cloud cover.

There are other ways to generate cloud cover, as I'm sure others will point out, but this is using technology you already have. 3D perlin noise would also create dynamically changing cloud cover, rather than just scrolling clouds.

Spree

As far as I remember :

Use 2D perlin to generate a random number (say between 0 and 1) for every pixel of your cloud texture
Choose a threshold value depending on the overcast, discard all pixels under this value (1 = blue sky, 0 = bad weather). You could also use a greyscale above the threshold to have the center of your clouds darker, and play with alphas

If you add time as the third perlin variable, your clouds will be changing with time (but to have some wind effect, you'll need to translate the x/y coordinates with time as well).

I guess you can also use the texture to get shadows.