Sign in to follow this  
KG_Brad

Vector Graphics - Still in use?

Is anybody still using vector graphics in their games? I was considering making a game that relies only on vector graphics for everything. Are there people that still like only lines and basic shapes?

Rez, Every Extend, Geometry Wars, N, Warning Forever... all use mainly basic geometric shapes, with only a few additional gizmos. And those are only from my personal favourites.

Quote:
Original post by KG_Brad
Yeah... that's true. I guess I never even thought of those games. Do those use true vector graphics or bitmaps made to look like vector graphics?

Usually both. I think Rez is almost entirely true vector graphics. N is probably so as well. Warning Forever uses bitmeps. Every extend uses 3D vector graphics with a shader on top to cel-shade everything. I'm not certain about geometry wars.

Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
The winning entry of the last Gamedev 4 Elements Contest (4E5) used vector graphics, so they are definitely still being used and used successfully [smile]

Link to winning entry: Mop of Destiny

Regards,
ViLiO

That's all vector graphics??!! That game looks awesome! I'm definately doing vector graphics now!

Thanks!

For what it's worth, there's a slightly bug-fixed version here: http://mopofdestiny.com/MopInstall.exe

As for vector graphics, it's still in use, though I wouldn't call its use widespread. There's a vector graphics engine out (named Amanith VG), though it's not free. Geometry Wars does indeed use vectors, really. As do alot of Introversion's games (Darwinia and Defcon spring to mind).

They're still out there.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Grid Wars 2 (aka Geometry Wars for the PC and for free which kicks much butt since you don't need to own a sexbox and so on... go team)

Quote:
Original post by Gagyi
Vector graphics becomes handy if you dont like (or simply lazy) to
1. Do pixel paint
2. Photo+photoshop
3. Do real art

Or, if, you know, you want (memory/disk-)space-efficient data, or stuff that can easily be deformed. I'd hate to be the guy doing MoD's bezier-snakes with images instead of vectors.

Quote:
Or, if, you know, you want (memory/disk) space-efficient data

That's actually why I want to do vector graphics in the first place. Also, speed is an issue, since the game is going to be drawing 10-15 enemies at once.

So, in terms of what Mop of Destiny used, essentially I made all of the art assets into mesh files (don't ask how I did that, even if I did explain how I did it, the process is so hellishly convoluted that you wouldn't want to do it that way anyway, I'm sure there are better ways than mine). Essentially, I did polygon tracing on all of the shapes (I had solid-filled shapes only, but you could get away with more complicated colorings if you needed to) and exported as vertex/index buffers.

Then I just loaded those in directly (each frame of my animations was a different mesh, also not perfectly idea), and drew the correct frame for the entity's current state.

A wireframe screenshot of Mop of Destiny

All said, all of the art for the text, player, enemies, weapons, level backgrounds, and pretty much anything else ended up at just under 3 MB.

I'd definitely do it that way again.