Vector Graphics - Still in use?

Started by
13 comments, last by Drilian 17 years, 1 month ago
Is anybody still using vector graphics in their games? I was considering making a game that relies only on vector graphics for everything. Are there people that still like only lines and basic shapes?
Quote:Of course justice isn't equal. Rich people can afford lawyers, where poor people get McLawyers.
Advertisement
Rez, Every Extend, Geometry Wars, N, Warning Forever... all use mainly basic geometric shapes, with only a few additional gizmos. And those are only from my personal favourites.
Yeah... that's true. I guess I never even thought of those games. Do those use true vector graphics or bitmaps made to look like vector graphics?
Quote:Of course justice isn't equal. Rich people can afford lawyers, where poor people get McLawyers.
Quote:Original post by KG_Brad
Yeah... that's true. I guess I never even thought of those games. Do those use true vector graphics or bitmaps made to look like vector graphics?

Usually both. I think Rez is almost entirely true vector graphics. N is probably so as well. Warning Forever uses bitmeps. Every extend uses 3D vector graphics with a shader on top to cel-shade everything. I'm not certain about geometry wars.
The winning entry of the last Gamedev 4 Elements Contest (4E5) used vector graphics, so they are definitely still being used and used successfully [smile]

Link to winning entry: Mop of Destiny

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by ViLiO
The winning entry of the last Gamedev 4 Elements Contest (4E5) used vector graphics, so they are definitely still being used and used successfully [smile]

Link to winning entry: Mop of Destiny

Regards,
ViLiO

That's all vector graphics??!! That game looks awesome! I'm definately doing vector graphics now!
Thanks!

For what it's worth, there's a slightly bug-fixed version here: http://mopofdestiny.com/MopInstall.exe

As for vector graphics, it's still in use, though I wouldn't call its use widespread. There's a vector graphics engine out (named Amanith VG), though it's not free. Geometry Wars does indeed use vectors, really. As do alot of Introversion's games (Darwinia and Defcon spring to mind).

They're still out there.
Vector graphics, in form of Adobe Flash, is still going strong. Mobile platforms will probably be the next large platform. In fact, AMD just released a new GPU at GDC for mobile platforms that is capable of accelerating OpenVG and Flash (and SVG) content.
Grid Wars 2 (aka Geometry Wars for the PC and for free which kicks much butt since you don't need to own a sexbox and so on... go team)
Oof. Yeah, forgot about Flash. I guess, by "not widespread" what I really meant was "all over the place"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement