which C# book should I buy?

Started by
5 comments, last by Zolockdevelopment 17 years ago
I wuold like to learn C# and build window applications. For instance I would like to create tools to support my game projects. I would like to buy one of these two books, but I'm unsure which one will suit more my needs. Anyone has read them and could guide me? Thanks! Here are the books in question. Beginning C# Game Programming http://www.amazon.ca/Beginning-Game-Programming-Ron-Penton/dp/1592005179/ref=sr_1_2/702-1051059-9378469?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174237699&sr=1-2 or Learning C# 2005 http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596102097/ref=ord_cart_shr/702-1051059-9378469?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB
Advertisement
Go with Learning C# 2005, I've read this book before and it's great for starting out. Stay away from Game Programming books until you have an understanding of the language because rushing into Game Programming without knowing General Programming will make you a bad programmer. However since you're using C# for tools for games going with Learning C# would be the only book to pick out of the two.
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
thanks

should I mention that I have experience with C++? Should this affect this choice?
C++ isn't the same library as C# even though the sytnax is very much the same. Knowing C++ will let you catch on faster but you still need to learn C#'s library, ect...
____________________VB/C++/C# Programmer
Quote:Original post by Jettoz
Go with Learning C# 2005, I've read this book before and it's great for starting out. Stay away from Game Programming books until you have an understanding of the language because rushing into Game Programming without knowing General Programming will make you a bad programmer. However since you're using C# for tools for games going with Learning C# would be the only book to pick out of the two.

Yup, I second this since I've read both these books and the first one teaches you just enough C# to get a simple 2D game using managed directx working.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Another great book you can look at, if you have finished learning C#, is "Managed DirectX9 Kick Start" by Tom Miller. It will take you step-by-step through game programming using C#. It is also an advantage that the author is the creator of Managed DirectX.

It helped me a great deal in programming games in C#!
Well If you are advanced at C++ or almost there. I say you should start getting books from Charles River Media.
I am the heart of video games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement