Sign in to follow this  
Kumado

where are the hardware buffers? SDL

Kumado    122
I am somewhat new to OpenGl and SDL. I have been reading tutorials and forums, Google is a good friend but I have a problem that I am unsure where to search or maybe what phrase to use. I started putting together an 'engine' to do gaming with so I could learn more about how to use it all. My concern is frame rate as I am sure is everyones. I have a triangle strip for landscape that is 100 by 100 square, a sky box , a billboarded sun in the sky and we wrote a reader for Hammer rmf files and I can drop a building in ( got work on texturing to do ) and I am getting 250 to 400 fps on my machine at work 500 to 600 at home. The rest of the machines in the classroom get a good deal less 60 to 150. I test for and try to use the hareware buffers and such but I am being returned that they are not being used. I found a great peice of code to read and print the video info and it simply is not available to me. What do I need to look for? I use Dev C with SDL set to use OpenGl. The machines at school all have agp cards both Nvidia and Ati and mine at home is an Ati pciX. Thanks Kumado

Simian Man    1022
Quote:
Original post by Kumado
I test for and try to use the hareware buffers and such but I am being returned that they are not being used.

If you are talking about the information returned from SDL_GetVideoInfo, then it only applies if you are using SDL for rendering. Since you are using OpenGL, that function will not tell you anything useful.

Basically SDL just sets up a window, handles some input and gets out of your way. All performance and driver issues are going to be OpenGL related.

Kumado    122
Ahhh, thanks! That was what I was coming to think. There is way too much info to try to go thru to get a "realistic' idea of what to do.

Is there a good place to get sdl initialized OpenGL data?

I see there are so many oppinions of what to use and how to do "it"

I have been using Dev C with SDL to open the window then OpenGL functions for most all the graphics. I want to do 3D games / sims but 2D stuff is not totally ruled out either. Everyone wants things to run as fast as they can. Maybe there will be a time to use in line assembly but who would know?

Thanks again

Kumado

Kumado    122
Thank you Kelly G.

I have been to the site many times but not seen that page. I am on dial-up ( 24k )
so it will be a bit to check but that looks like the information I need.
Again thank you for a great lead!

kumado