where are the hardware buffers? SDL

Started by
3 comments, last by Kumado 17 years ago
I am somewhat new to OpenGl and SDL. I have been reading tutorials and forums, Google is a good friend but I have a problem that I am unsure where to search or maybe what phrase to use. I started putting together an 'engine' to do gaming with so I could learn more about how to use it all. My concern is frame rate as I am sure is everyones. I have a triangle strip for landscape that is 100 by 100 square, a sky box , a billboarded sun in the sky and we wrote a reader for Hammer rmf files and I can drop a building in ( got work on texturing to do ) and I am getting 250 to 400 fps on my machine at work 500 to 600 at home. The rest of the machines in the classroom get a good deal less 60 to 150. I test for and try to use the hareware buffers and such but I am being returned that they are not being used. I found a great peice of code to read and print the video info and it simply is not available to me. What do I need to look for? I use Dev C with SDL set to use OpenGl. The machines at school all have agp cards both Nvidia and Ati and mine at home is an Ati pciX. Thanks Kumado
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kumado
I test for and try to use the hareware buffers and such but I am being returned that they are not being used.

If you are talking about the information returned from SDL_GetVideoInfo, then it only applies if you are using SDL for rendering. Since you are using OpenGL, that function will not tell you anything useful.

Basically SDL just sets up a window, handles some input and gets out of your way. All performance and driver issues are going to be OpenGL related.
Ahhh, thanks! That was what I was coming to think. There is way too much info to try to go thru to get a "realistic' idea of what to do.

Is there a good place to get sdl initialized OpenGL data?

I see there are so many oppinions of what to use and how to do "it"

I have been using Dev C with SDL to open the window then OpenGL functions for most all the graphics. I want to do 3D games / sims but 2D stuff is not totally ruled out either. Everyone wants things to run as fast as they can. Maybe there will be a time to use in line assembly but who would know?

Thanks again

Kumado
I'm sure you've seen the nehe tutorials

Well, here is some SDL/OpenGL versions of the source code:
http://www.libsdl.org/opengl/index.php

This download was helpful to me at one point.
Thank you Kelly G.

I have been to the site many times but not seen that page. I am on dial-up ( 24k )
so it will be a bit to check but that looks like the information I need.
Again thank you for a great lead!

kumado

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement