Sign in to follow this  
Brawn

Another Noob lookin for direction

Brawn    122
First of all, I'd like to thank all those people responsible for creating this site. If a person interested in game programming can't find help here, then I'd say they're probably sunk! I am new to programming. I never actually thought I had an interest in it until my second year in a local Community College. I am an Electronics Engineering Technology major, so I had not really focused on programming until this semester when I took an Intro to Programming and Logic elective. It should have been entitled Intro to Programming with C++. So far I have only been learning to do simple, procedure-oriented console applications, but I must say I really like it! And I would like to learn to program my own games. I have noticed that whenever the question of "what language" comes up, the thread usually ends up running to several pages. :) I have also had to deal with other programming languages this semester. Besides C++, I have had to learn Ladder Logic programming for PLC's , and a simplified form of BASIC for programming a robotic arm. Plus, I downloaded Basic4GL (anyone ever heard of it?) which was designed to be an easy beginners language using BASIC syntax but combined with OpenGL. I admit that doing procedure-oriented console apps. with BASIC normally ends up with fewer lines of code than if they are done with C++ (or maybe it's just my lack of knowledge :)). But having started with C++ made it a bit easier to pick up the BASIC stuff. Enough background! My questions are: 1) Can anyone recommend a good set of references (books-tutorials) for MS Visual C++.NET 2003? I would like to move into OOP, and the course I am taking doesn't really go that far. 2) Can anyone recommend a good starting project game for a beginner?

Rand    193
I can never remember the name of the book to learn c++, but a good one is written by Stroustrup, the author of the language.

A good game? Go for the arcade classics, like pong, space invaders, breakout, pacman.....

For the graphics side, theres a lot of good websites with tutorials. www.nvidia.com have dev articles on aswell which are well worth reading. It will give you good grounding in loads of graphics techniques.