profile under linux

Started by
4 comments, last by dave j 17 years ago
hello, is there a way to profile opengl applications under linux? i've heard about nvperfgraph but it seems to not really give you that amount of information like nvidia's windows developer tools. i'm especially interested in fillrate info and general pipeline bottlenecks. gDEBugger for linux is also on it's way (beta stage now, release in april) but i'm afraid i cannot wait any longer ... regards [Edited by - ghostd0g on April 4, 2007 12:17:21 PM]
Advertisement
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

When you compile your program with g++ you can add the -pg option to produce profiling information

Then run the following command after it has finished compiling:

gprof ./nameofyourprogram > profile.txt

Open profile.txt and it will give you all the details

HTH

thx kcirrem.
i am aware of gprof but i'm more interested in profiling the graphics pipeline ...
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfkit_home.html

It says there is a linux version.

Do you have an Nvidia card?
thx WilyCoder, i totally forgot about that.
i wonder what's the difference between nvperfkit and nvperfgraph??

and yes, we've got only nvidia cards here.

and i wonder if the PS3 with its nvidia RSX chip, its OpenGL ES implementation and Linux OS will have any effect on OpenGL development on linux. would be nice ...
I've just started playing with BuGLe. Can display info on pipeline usage, fill rate, etc. It can provide much more information if you're using the Nvidia instrumented drivers (the ones you get with the linux version of NVPerfKit.

It has two modes of operation:

Debug mode. Lets you step through OpenGL calls, examine current state, textures, etc. This has a rudimentary GUI as well. It does slow the execution of the app down a lot.

Performance analysis mode. Acts as a layer between an app and the OpenGL libraries. Can display/log performance counters as numeric values or in graphs. has a minimal hit on application speed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement