[XNA /C# ] Where to start

Started by
4 comments, last by Gerhard Mostert 17 years, 1 month ago
hello im currently lost and i need some direction. Im trying to create a small game for fun and mainly For my Son. Since he always want to know what i was doing,i decided to show him by create one with him, he loved the idea. So here i am trying to build a small spaceship Race game. Im not a big programmer, in fact i'm a 2d/3d game artist with a bit of scripting experience, (Maxscript, xml and Blitz3d) But a LOT of good will( and some "pressure" too ). Some my Main Problem is this.-I need a Language and ideally an engine. - do you think its feasable? -do you think i absolutly need a team with me? i may be a bit utopic but i think the effort could bring a lot of fun here. //Here what i'm looking for - Efficient and widely used language. i dont want to spent 4 month finding one help/tutorial. - Good community if possible.I dunno why but i this karma that push me to diying Engine -French help If possible since im from Quebec. Its always better to find tut in your own language. ( i know it may be a bit too much but asking is still free to my knowledge) - i Dont care for latest "next-gen" feature. i dont care about HDR and so on. you'll understand when you'll see the end of this post. I will add screenshot and Vid of what i'm looking for. - Free/open-source Tool/API/Framework etc. //Here what i found -C# sound interesting. -Microsoft XNA look like a good alternative. Seem "easy" enough and a lot of help for newb like me. -Irrlicht engine look helpful too. //Here what my game should look like. kinda -Gameplay wise, Its really simple. Do the track with less time possible. and even that is not necessary. -Input. Up arrow (w): go forward Left arrow (A): turn Left Right Arrow(D)L turn right Thats it. i made one level in 3ds Max. Graphic are mainly inspire by nintendo look ( mario Galaxy) and Little big planet for the childish feel Render0 Render0 Small Video Take a look at. Still made with 3DS Max viewport.
">Small preview vid Thank for all you help and/or advice I'm sorry if i make my thread in the wrong section. Moderator feel free to move it to a appropriate section. -D
Advertisement
You might want to check out:

XNA Engine

and stuff over at:

Riemers

That should get you started :). Good luck!
I think if you're planning to go the 3D route, you'll probably need a team. I've not used XNA, but it can only do so much. 2D will definitely be easier in any event. SDL is a nice API, although I've only used it for small projects. How ambitious do you envision this project becoming?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
I'd reckon that the game you showed in that concept video is doable by a single experienced coder. For a beginner... well, perhaps with a little help [smile]

XNA is probably as good a direction as any to take - if you've got a 360 then your son may particularly enjoy the ability to play the game on it. I'd recommend getting a 360 controller for your PC and using it to play the game; it has a nice combination of analog and digital controls.

Take a look at these XNA games - the creators made them in only 4 days at GDC. That's the kind of thing that can be achieved in only 4 days.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Howzit,

since you are not realy a programmer it will probably not be as trivial as doing it in 4 days! Give yourself some weeks I would say (maybe even months).

I would say that the easiest prog. lang. to start with would be C#. Try going for a book that would teach you game programming in C# like, "Beginning C# game programming" by Penton. It teaches a bit of C# before going on to Managed DirectX which would be the fastest and easiest to program!

If you finished with that book, go on to "Managed DirectX9 Kick Start" by Tom Miller.

Therefore, I would suggest C#. I think it would be the easiest and quickest! If you worked through those two books, I think you would be set.

C# is very easy to understand as well!

Can't help about the french, sorry! :P
Let us know what you decided to do and how far you are getting, this looks like a very cool project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement