Sign in to follow this  
Endar

Configurable material editor

Endar    668
I'm starting work on a little material editor in C#, to help with my learning. My editor will be able to load a config file which will specify the different attributes of a material (specular color, emissive color, mass, etc), and you will then be able to edit and create materials for that configuration. The plan is for only one configuration at a time to be loaded, because I gather that most people create a single material class and use that for every object in their project. Both the material file and config file will be in XML. I'm looking for opinions, specifically on what kinds of features would be useful in something like this.

ApochPiQ    23064
In my experience, tools are really, really hard to design for general use. Usually, a tool will be created specifically to handle the particular needs of one project or one team.

If the tool is for you, just build what you need. If you find you need more later, it shouldn't be much trouble to add it. If the tool is for someone else in particular, find out what they need and build that. If you don't have any particular user in mind, you may want to reconsider the project - without any clear goals, it's impossible to say when you've succeeded.

Endar    668
Quote:
Original post by ApochPiQ
In my experience, tools are really, really hard to design for general use. Usually, a tool will be created specifically to handle the particular needs of one project or one team.

If the tool is for you, just build what you need. If you find you need more later, it shouldn't be much trouble to add it. If the tool is for someone else in particular, find out what they need and build that. If you don't have any particular user in mind, you may want to reconsider the project - without any clear goals, it's impossible to say when you've succeeded.

I know, but this is just a learning project, mostly to learn more about C# and how I can bend it to my will. [grin]

If this never gets to a stage that I can easily use it, that's okay. My problem is that, at the moment, I don't really need a specific tool. I created one to write a trigger file (basically a whole level file) for my game demo (2d galaga-style), which I will be submitting along with my demo, and that is very useable.

But I certainly see your point about it being impossible to know when you've succeeded with something general like this.