What does everyone use to load there mesh object(do I need to reinvent the Wheel)

Started by
1 comment, last by Gerhard Mostert 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi all, looks like there is not much in the way of mesh loading utils for the X file format. I'm new to all this but it looks like this should have a lot of info on this subject but I can't find any that differ from the ones I have. That being said the one I have, seem to work on some mesh and others it will crash, but I can load them all with the MView app thats with the directX Extra download package. So the question is what does everyone in the industy do. (1):do they create there own based on what art packages their using if so then where do there get the info on whats in a saved file from there 3d Software EG. like how do you know whats in a 3DS file and how do you read this.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ankhd
(1):do they create there own based on what art packages their using
if so then where do there get the info on whats in a saved file from there
3d Software EG. like how do you know whats in a 3DS file and how do you read this.

There are lots of things - docs from the developers (ie from Discreet for 3ds), other reference sites, file format sites, or sample code. Going with the 3ds example, there are tons of loaders floating around out there (including many here on GameDev).

As for .X, I think that most people just use D3DX. If you are doing more advanced things with animation or templates, then you might need to use your own.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
First thing first,

(1) You create your mesh in some 3D modelling package. I use 3Ds Max.
(2) You export your mesh to a .X file, using a package like PandaSoft's .X exporter. Read the first Thread in this forum!
(3) Import your .x file using D3DXLoadMeshFromFile (native) or LoadMeshFromFile (managed). Not that trivial though, look how they do it in the Directx Samples, Loading a mesh.

Hope this helps, if this was completely useless, sorry!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement