Using OpenGL with SDL for a 2D engine targeting casual games?

Started by
22 comments, last by shadowcomplex 17 years ago
While I personally think anyone trying to run any kind of game on one of those cheap intergrated intel GPUs is a special kind of insane (or usually, just ignorant), they're actually not that bad. I always provide a basic GL 1.1 renderer and I've never actually had a problem with them. The quality is good (unlike other cheap cards like the S3 range) and they can even do two-texture multitexturing. The only slight snag is that the fillrate isn't that bad, but thats not a problem if you provide some lower resolutions and/or have options to disable or reduce the heavy effects.
Advertisement
I can't offer any advice that hasn't been given already, but I do have a question. Are you planning to make this engine open source? I'm just curious because our team has developed our own open-source 2D C++ SDL/OpenGL engine (which also happens to be cross-platform). I was curious to take a look through the current state of your code and gain some insight.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote:Original post by Roots
I can't offer any advice that hasn't been given already, but I do have a question. Are you planning to make this engine open source? I'm just curious because our team has developed our own open-source 2D C++ SDL/OpenGL engine (which also happens to be cross-platform). I was curious to take a look through the current state of your code and gain some insight.

No, I don't have any plans on open sourcing my engine just yet. My goal is to build up a solid software bag of tricks that I know back to front that I can use in my own indie games, aiming for commercial release. Eventually I hope to put in some unique things in there that can give my own games their own flavour. At the moment though I suspect it's a pretty bog standard partially completed 2D engine.

To be honest I'm not sure it's worth showing to people as open source for a number of reasons; it's incomplete, I suspect it's badly written in many parts, there are far better open source 2D engines out there, I would feel an obligation to keep updating it which I may not keep, and (potentially the biggest problem) I'd be embarrassed to pretend it's any good.

I'm happy to share parts of the code with anyone who asks nicely though. If there's any bit that many people are interested in then I might consider releasing that part under a non-restrictive open source licence.
Quote:Original post by DarkHorizon
Why not use an existing sprite engine which does all that you're asking for, and more?

Despite the 'OpenGL' logo on the page, nothing else suggests that it actually uses OpenGL for the graphics, meaning you're stuck with 1998's rendering technology.

You've posted a link to CEGUI, in response to my comment about Kyra. So I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
Kyra uses SDL with an option to use OpenGL [Kyra] Using OpenGL
Whoops, that AP was me. I'm logged back in now:)
[Kyra] Using OpenGL
0xa0000000
Hi Trapper,

I know you've said that you want to write your own engine, but you also mention the ability to use OpenGL or DirectX rendering. A nice little [2D] engine, that has been used for some casual games is the PTK Engine. It supports both DirectX and OpenGL rendering with only a single line of code to change. Just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck :)
Quote:Original post by shadowcomplex
I know you've said that you want to write your own engine, but you also mention the ability to use OpenGL or DirectX rendering. A nice little [2D] engine, that has been used for some casual games is the PTK Engine. It supports both DirectX and OpenGL rendering with only a single line of code to change. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the link. I recently had a look at the PTK documentation a few weeks back after seeing some references in another thread. From the features it has and the amount of support it seems to be getting from people at the Indiegamer forums I'm considering trying it out if I end up too stuck in my own system. It's nice to have a backup plan!

Quote:Original post by shadowcomplex
Hi Trapper,

Good luck :)

A library which requires me to pay a fee to use it, but then presents a 404 on their order page doesn't exactly inspire confidence...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement