Sign in to follow this  
Zmurf

[web] Learning Asp.Net - Good free Asp.Net hosting?

Zmurf    100
I'm learning Asp.Net and I want to try and make a small online server for development purposes. Eventually I wan't to try and make a text-based game, just as a whole learning experience. I was wondering if there is any good free hosts for Asp.Net and MSSQL server. I've googled and googled and googled, but nothing seems very good. Any help?

Jebediah    245
www.dyndns.org

I think that is the website. Host your own server using your computer. Install the necessary tools (IIS probably) and you will have your own server! I did this before and it is really slick.

daviangel    604
Quote:
Original post by Jebediah
www.dyndns.org

I think that is the website. Host your own server using your computer. Install the necessary tools (IIS probably) and you will have your own server! I did this before and it is really slick.

NOt a good idea for several reasons I can think of:
#1 may violate terms of your ISP which means they can suspend your account if caught. This is most likely case if you find that your port 80 is blocked.
#2 You will be spending time that you could be spending working on asp securing server/installing patches,etc.
#3 Will need to leave computer on 24/7
#4 etc,etc
I recommend you pick a free host from this list instead
Also, this will give you an idea later on when you get more advanced with your asp skills on what services you are going to want from a hosting company,i.e. asp 2/ii7 support,etc?

Instruo    373
Quote:

This is actually a great idea, especially for the development part. Once you have something that's ready to show people in the outside world, then worry about finding/hosting a server externally. Your development will actually go significantly faster working on your local machine.