World editor

Started by
7 comments, last by _neutrin0_ 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I would like to know if any of you guys knows of a 3D World Editor distributed under a GNU license that I could use to build virtual worlds, which I would subsequently integrate into my own project. Thank you.
Advertisement
If you're just after something that will let you do the modelling you could check out Blender. If you're after something more akin to an actual engine/editor I don't know of anything personally.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Thanks for that, but I was really looking for a tool that would let me design a scene/map, call it whatever, and then export it into a non-proprietary format my app could read and interpret.
Hum, try here:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=49e5753d831cdb0a9f59125c4451bb56

under

Tool list,
Free tree and plant, landscape modeling applications
3D state editor and Worldbuilder,
Delgine,
etc.
I thought you might be after something more like that. Can you be any more specific about the type of scene you're needing to create, or are you after something fairly general?

If you're ok with GPL licencing and aren't planning commercial usage you could perhaps look into Radiant, although it's best suited to indoor/enclosed environments, so it probably won't be useful if you want to do a lot of outdoor scenes.

Nothing comes to mind that you can use commercially for free.

- Jason Astle-Adams

> Can you be any more specific about the type of scene you're needing to create, or are you after something fairly general?

I'm after something general, as you well put it. I'll be doing some indoor scenes but also outdoor ones.

> Nothing comes to mind that you can use commercially for free.

I'm sorry, I should've explained myself better! I'm not going to make a profit from my app, so I would be ok with GPL licensing. What I must avoid using by all means is proprietary software, as the software I'll be developing is academic research.

Thank you everybody for the suggestions so far. You've truly been helpful.
The radiants are under some other form of public license and not GNU GPL
Quote:
* The editors are free for non commercial use
* GtkRadiant is open sourced under a proprietary License from Id software.
* Commercial use requires a License from Id Software, which can be obtained independently from any engine License. See Id Software Technology Licensing page for more information.

Read this.

If you are OK with brush based geometry, you can try out QuArK. You can use it for free and it can be integrated with your engine, though I must warn you brush based geometry can be a pain to work with.

I personally think that Blender is a better bet if you want a free world/level builder. It has a great python based plug-in system and you can export 3D data to any custom format you want. The only thing is that it was a wired interface which can be difficult to pick up initially.
++ My::Game ++
Fantastic stuff everybody; really appreciated!

One last question though: can Blender be used to create 3D worlds/scenes or is it just a 3d modeller like 3DS? I've been trying to answer this question by looking for some documentation, however to no avail...

Again, many thanks!
Blender is basically a solid modeler much like 3DS. However it has a plug-ins which can be used to make 3D worlds. Check out ANT & Blender World Forge.

Here is a preview what ANT can do.

(I am assuming you are talking about 3D landscape scenes.)

[Edited by - _neutrin0_ on March 19, 2007 10:09:16 AM]
++ My::Game ++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement