Dangling pointers in containers (undefined behavior)

Started by
17 comments, last by mfawcett 17 years ago
This is just a nit-picky post, mostly to Zahlman and MaulingMonkey. I have rated both of you up in the past as I have always found you two to be very helpful, so don't take offense to the post, I'm merely trying to get to the bottom of this. I would have replied to the original thread that started this discussion but I was away on business and it was closed by the time I got back. I recently saw a new post on c.l.c++.m that again discusses the fact that leaving a dangling pointer in a std container is undefined behavior (I say "again discussing" because, like I brought up in the original thread, this comes up rather often there, always with the same result - "it is undefined behavior"). Now in practice I almost always use smart pointers within my containers, so I never have to worry about this, and when there are raw pointers, yes, I use the function object and std::for_each idiom. In reply to MaulingMonkey's last post, where he stated "given that dangling pointers within containers are legal and well defined behavior so long as they are not dereferenced", I believe the issue is that the standard says the only legal thing you can do with a dangling pointer is assign it a new (valid) value. Any other "use" of the pointer is undefned, and even an rvalue to lvalue conversion is considered use, it does not have to be dereferenced, merely used. Thoughts? [Edited by - mfawcett on March 19, 2007 9:37:44 AM]
--Michael Fawcett
Advertisement
After reading that last thread, I was under the impression that this "dangling pointers in containers result in undefined behavior" was possibly a misunderstanding of the standard. The standard talks about uninitialized pointers having a "singular value" or something like that. Unless you're putting uninitialized pointers in your container, the result isn't going to be undefined. You end up with a well defined dangling pointer. As far as I know, copying a dangling pointer is a well defined operation.

The issue is this: Is copying an invalid pointer an undefined operation? The standard (according to a post in the other thread) says that use of an invalid pointer is undefined, but I don't believe that copying the value of the pointer counts as use of that pointer. An invalid pointer is not necessarily a "singular value" (undefined value).
Well, the singular value thing was my fault. I posted an irrelevant section of the standard. The second quote was the correct one, I believe.

3.7.3.2 paragraph 4
"...The effect of using an invalid pointer value (including passing it to a deallocation function) is undefined.33)"

"Using" does not only mean dereferencing in my understanding. It means any use other than:

my_dangling_ptr = 0;// ormy_dangling_ptr = valid_ptr;

which, as far as I can tell, is the only legal thing you can do with a dangling pointer.
--Michael Fawcett
I'm not going to quote standards, as I don't have access to a copy, but I cannot see the point you are making in that thread.

Even the pendant in me cannot see the point you are making. [smile] The deletion of each pointer in the container would only result in undefined behaviour were it not cleared afterwards.

Whatever about a small thinking point at the end of that other thread, but to devote an entire thread to this "topic"...

I think I could sleep at night were I to use the delete-the-pointers-then-clear method. [grin]
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Whatever about a small thinking point at the end of that other thread, but to devote an entire thread to this "topic"...

I think I could sleep at night were I to use the delete-the-pointers-then-clear method. [grin]

I know, I know, but I couldn't reply since the thread was dead. Defintely didn't deserve an entire thread, sorry about that.
--Michael Fawcett
I'd much rather completely waste my time on something else than revisit this.

Or do something useful like working on my replacement for the FUBAR that is C++.

Presuming for a second that it is undefined behavior, I'm going to propose that each of the following is more likely to be a problem:

1) The workaround to avoid the behavior accidentally invoking significant undefined behavior
2) Death due to bus collision related injuries
3) Death due to llama related injuries
4) Death due to a world war caused by significant undefined behavior

In conclusion, the issue at stake would be a defect in the standard rather than that of any code IMO. Regardless, this has since fallen out of my Cone of Caring.
This is actually a problem throughout the standard, it has a tendency to be relatively vuage about certain points that leads to questionably defined behavior (and questionably undefined behavior). One thing we can note though is how it deals with pointers that are explicitly outside of the range of valid values for an object: that is, given an object o, and a pointer p such that p = &o, then p+1 points one past o and is a valid pointer, but p+2 is not only an invalid pointer, but results in undefined behavior. Applying this same context to a dangling pointer, one could show that doing anything with the dangling pointer (with the exception of reassignment) is also undefined behavior, since it points outside of the range of legal values.

In reality, C++0x should hopefully clear this up somewhat, but I haven't actually seen any efforts to do such (mostly just library work with a little language work to get the libraries working).

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

I agree with you MaulingMonkey, which is why I tried to caveat every post with "in practice it's not an issue", or "in my own code I don't even worry about this" type phrases. Your tone is less than pleasant, however.

Thank you, Washu, for a very nice reply.
--Michael Fawcett
Quote:Original post by mfawcett
Well, the singular value thing was my fault. I posted an irrelevant section of the standard. The second quote was the correct one, I believe.

3.7.3.2 paragraph 4
"...The effect of using an invalid pointer value (including passing it to a deallocation function) is undefined.33)"

"Using" does not only mean dereferencing in my understanding. It means any use other than:

my_dangling_ptr = 0;// ormy_dangling_ptr = valid_ptr;

which, as far as I can tell, is the only legal thing you can do with a dangling pointer.

So your argument against dangling pointers in SC++L containers is (correct me if I'm wrong) that the containers are allowed to copy contained values at any time and that copying an invalid pointer value is undefined behaviour:
int * i = new int;delete i;int * j = i; // undefined behaviour.

Now riddle me this. If copying an invalid pointer value is undefined behaviour then why does the quoted section of the standard explicitly highlight that passing an invalid pointer value to a deallocation function is undefined? All of the standard deallocation functions take their parameters by value, so if copying an invalid pointer value was undefined behaviour then passing an invalid pointer value to a deallocation function would implicitly by undefined behaviour due to the pass-by-value. Furthermore, passing an invalid pointer value to any function that tooks its parameter by value would be undefined behaviour. So why did the standards committee feel it necessary to explicitly state "including passing it to a deallocation function"?

Nowhere does the C++ standard define "use", in the context of the above quote from the standard. Neither can I find any reasonable argument, based on any conceivable machine architecture, for copying an invalid pointer value to be undefined behaviour. Significant parts of the C++ standard are based on possible underlying architectures. The argument for pointers outside the [array, array + size] range being undefined can be seen in architectures with segment/offset based pointers and in pointer under/overflow. The argument about pointers with singular values is harder to see, but one can envisage an architecture where pointers are specially handled on the hardware level and as such have certain constraints which may be violated by copying an uninitialised pointer. I can see no reasonable argument for copying a pointer value which was known to be valid at a previous point in time to be undefined behaviour, nor can I find any clear justification in the standard for it to be.

I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid I'm going to require you to be far more persuasive than you have been so far.

Σnigma
Quote:Original post by Enigma
Neither can I find any reasonable argument, based on any conceivable machine architecture, for copying an invalid pointer value to be undefined behaviour.

Nor I, and I doubt anyone could. This wasn't a discussion about it being sensible or not, merely whether it was so.

Quote:Original post by Enigma
I'm quite prepared to be proven wrong, but I'm afraid I'm going to require you to be far more persuasive than you have been so far.

I'm not enough of an expert to persuade you. My evidence would simply be to point you at the newsgroups to view what the experts there have said, but there seems to be a bit of contention there too, with a few parties arguing that it's not UB.

For instance, here is a quote from James Kanze:

"Formally, I think that even those have undefined behavior. You
have to remove the pointer from the container in some way
(removing the element or changing its value) *before* the
delete. The simple presence of the pointer in the container
after delete is undefined behavior..."

and Seungbeom Kim:

"Except when the pointer is in a container, in which case you have to
explicitly set the pointer to null to avoid undefined behaviour..."

Do you see any harm in simply defining a delete_ptr struct as so?
struct delete_ptr{   template <typename T>   void operator()(const T *&ptr) const   {      delete ptr;      ptr = 0;   }};std::for_each(vec.begin(), vec.end(), delete_ptr());

Regardless, I really tried to preface all my posts saying that "in practice this is not an issue", so I'm not sure where all of the aggressiveness is coming from.

Signed,

Merely Interested In The Standard, Not Interested In A Fight.
--Michael Fawcett

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement