Sign in to follow this  
Lord_Vader

Perlin Noise on 2d curved surface

Hello I am trying to make a planetoid using Perlin noie.I have used 2d perlin noise to create flat lands(with nountains). My perlin noise gen. consists of the following steps: 1:Set Noise R^2 -> R on a 2d array 2:Smooth Noise 3:Interpolete 4:OverLap Octanes 5:Exponential Function Now I would like to use my 2d perlin noise code(or I should use 3d perlin noise?) to create perlin noise on a curved surface like a sphere generated from a recursively subdivided Icosahedron? How do I implement this? Any ideas? Thanks

Think of 3D Perlin noise as a volumetric cube. So instead of generating noise as a 2D texture, this time you have the 3rd dimension forming a solid cube, filled with noise inside. This is like a basic "hyper texture" to some extent.

Now imagine you have the sphere completely inside that volume. Instead of rendering the entire noise volume, we're only interested in noise values where the sphere's surface intersects, or more precisely occupies the solid.

You can do that by obtaining any 3D point on the sphere's surface and plugging that [x, y, z] coordinate into the 3D Perlin noise function. You can save the returned noise value into a 2D texture wrapped around the sphere.

You mean a mountain-like elevation on a planet? Yeah, I suppose you could. Use the noise value to shift the 3D surface point closer or further from the sphere's centre. You would need a really fine mesh to represent mountains with adequate detail. For that, you'd probably better off using a texture with a bump map - but that depends on what you're aiming for, of course.

If you go with the texture option, here's some sphere mapping math that could be useful. The reverse mapping equation (near the bottom of the page) might interest you - it allows you to calculate the 3D sphere coordinate [Rx, Ry, Rz] for any given texture coordinate [s, t].

Is there any good tutorial on perlin noise?

I have found some odd pascal perlin noise samples with mubers like 1.2392392e1 - why not use hex declaration instead? Are there differences for perlin noise in 1D, 2D and 3D? If someone has a good link to a perlin noise imlementation please stick it.

Thank you in advance!