DLL part of executable?

Started by
2 comments, last by Staryon 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm using a third party sdk for my game (gapidraw). In order to use this sdk I need to include the header files and the lib file in my program. However now that I have everything ready I'm confused about something. In my debug and release folder I don't have the dll file from the sdk. However my game works fine. I checked in my hard drive and I don't have any dlls for this sdk. Where is the dll that the program is using? Is it because the DLL is somehow part of my executable? On the other hand, I have also tried to add some sound using the Hekkus sound library. However, for this case I DO need to have the file hss.dll in my debug/release folders. Why? I'm doing the same thing that I was doing with the other sdk. Thanks a lot for any help
Advertisement
gapidraw is probably a static library whereas Hekkus is a dynamic library. All the code in a static library is linked into the executable, all the code in a dynamic library is loaded at runtime from a DLL. If you don't explicitly call the LoadLibrary function then the dynamic library will have a static library as well which is linked to the executable. This static library just contains references to the DLL which are fixed up at load time.

Skizz
A useful tool when working with dlls is Dependency Walker. It's free too.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Thanks a lot for the information guys!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement