Need advice for best performance/cost card for around $100

Started by
6 comments, last by Amr0 17 years, 1 month ago
I'm a poor schmuck, so I can't afford more. AGP or PCI-Express will do. Preferably with SM 3.0 support. I'm thinking about a geforce 7600 GT. What do you think?
Advertisement
Moving to the hardware forum.
I think the 7600GT is a great card and definitely one of the cards giving the most bang for your buck at the moment.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by ViLiO
...7600GT...

Chalk up one more vote for the 7600GT. That's the card I was considering when it was $160, but I decided to wait, and now I've got an X1950 Pro. But for $100, go with the 7600GT.
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]
I've got a 7600GS (slower than a GT), and I am quite happy with it. I paid around $160 CDN over a year ago for it.
The nice thing with the 7600 GS is that you can get it with fanless coolers (quiet!)

For $100, if you can find a 7600 GS or GT, you'll be getting good value.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
The nice thing with the 7600 GS is that you can get it with fanless coolers (quiet!)

Yeah, that's what I have, except it was getting incredibly hot (poor case ventilation with a P4 - a bit of a no-no that I put another fan in my case just blowing across the card).

You might actually want to hold off on getting a new card for the next month or two. Engadget just had some news about a new Geforce 8300 (and 8600). They would have DirectX 10 support. Even if those are too expensive, it will cause prices to drop a bit more. (Although $100 for a 7600 is still a good deal, I think).

I doubt the price drop, if any, will be really significant (at least not in the $100 price range). Besides, I've already ordered it... but any more thoughts could help other people. Thanks for your replies anyway. -Love & Peace!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement