More FBO and buffer questions...

Started by
6 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 17 years ago
Hello again, I hope people will indulge me in my idiocy a bit longer on this forum as I'm having a bit of trouble getting the "OpenGL Frame Buffer Object 101" to work properly... Basically I'm trying to render the images to a depth buffer in the hopes of achieving a higher color resolution. I read somewhere that pixels rendered to the color buffer are all clamped and to 0-255 values where as the same is not true for example the depth buffer...? Perhaps I am wrong in this assumption? Anyways - I am hoping someone has the time to glance at some of my code and see if they can spot anything out of order... Just to get something out of of the way - If I do NOT render to the FBO object - i.e call "" before rendering, I get a pretty blue/white rotating wierd triangle. Some initialization code

gpuAiVertexProgram = cgCreateProgramFromFile(gpuAiContext,
						CG_SOURCE,
						"testShader.cg",
						gpuAiVertexProfile,
						"main",
						NULL);

if(gpuAiVertexProgram != NULL)
{
	/* Vertex shader only needs to be loaded once */
	cgGLLoadProgram(gpuAiVertexProgram);

/* Bind parameters to give access to variables in the shader */
	//KdParam = cgGetNamedParameter(VertexProgram, "Kd");
	ModelViewProjParam = cgGetNamedParameter(gpuAiVertexProgram, "ModelViewProj");
	ModelViewProjITParam = cgGetNamedParameter(gpuAiVertexProgram, "ModelViewProjIT");
	//VertexColorParam = cgGetNamedParameter(VertexProgram, "IN.VertexColor");
}

// Generate Frame buffer so we can use it!
glGenFramebuffersEXT(1, &fbo);							// Get a handle
glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, fbo);			// GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT is apparently the only bindable destination right now.

// Generate a Renderbuffer for the FBO
glGenRenderbuffersEXT(1, &depthbuffer);				// Get a handle
glRenderbufferStorageEXT(GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, 512, 512);	// Define storage space for the renderbuffer

// Generate a texture
glGenTextures(1, &img);
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, img);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameterf(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, GL_RGBA8,  512, 512, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, NULL);

// Attach function FBO<->Renderbuffer
glFramebufferRenderbufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_DEPTH_ATTACHMENT_EXT, GL_RENDERBUFFER_EXT, depthbuffer);

// Attach function FBO<->Texture
glFramebufferTexture2DEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, GL_COLOR_ATTACHMENT0_EXT, GL_TEXTURE_2D, img, 0);

if (checkFramebufferStatus()) {
	printf("Successfully attached FBO to Depthbuffer! \n");
} else {
	exit(-3);
}

The display code...

glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);

glPushMatrix();
glRotatef(angle,0.0,1.0,0.0);

if (enableCG) {
	cgGLBindProgram(gpuAiVertexProgram);

if(ModelViewProjParam != NULL)
		cgGLSetStateMatrixParameter(ModelViewProjParam,						CG_GL_MODELVIEW_PROJECTION_MATRIX,
		CG_GL_MATRIX_IDENTITY);

if(ModelViewProjITParam != NULL)
		cgGLSetStateMatrixParameter(ModelViewProjITParam,
		CG_GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX,
		CG_GL_MATRIX_INVERSE_TRANSPOSE);

cgGLEnableProfile(gpuAiVertexProfile);
}

glPushAttrib(GL_VIEWPORT_BIT);
glViewport(0,0,512, 512);

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP);
{
	glVertex3f(-0.8,-0.8,0.0);
	glVertex3f(0.8,-0.8,0.0);
	glVertex3f(0.0,0.8,0.0);
	//glVertex3f(-0.8f, 0.8f, -114.0f);
	//glVertex3f(-0.7f, 0.8f, -114.0f);

//glVertex3f(-0.75f, 0.9f, -114.0f);

glVertex3f(-0.65f, 0.9f, 2.0f);
	//glVertex3f(-0.6f, 0.8f, -114.0f);
}
glEnd();

glPopAttrib();

if (enableCG) {
	cgGLDisableProfile(gpuAiVertexProfile);
}

glPopMatrix();

// swapping the buffers causes the rendering above to be 
// shown
glutSwapBuffers();

// finally increase the angle for the next frame
angle++;

glFlush();

I'm using imdebug (which is a small tool to read an image into an extra tool and then look closer at it) to peer into the various buffers and have a look at whats inside. Here are the calls I use... The odd thing is... If I use imdebug to read from the screen it works fine when I render to it, but also when rendering to the depth buffer is active (or should be) - only then I see the blue triangle basically overwriting itself creating lots of layers of itself... Hmmm perhaps that needs clarification...

switch(key) {
	case GLUT_KEY_F1 :
		if (enableCG) {
			enableCG = false;
			printf("Cg Disabled...\n");
		} else {
			enableCG = true;
			printf("Cg Enabled...\n");
		}
		break;
	case GLUT_KEY_F2 :
		if (rendertoBF) {
			rendertoBF = false;
			glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, 0);
		} else {
			rendertoBF = true;
			glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, fbo);
		}
		break;
	case GLUT_KEY_F3 :
		// Try to use imdebug to display whats in the texture attached to the depthbuffer
		imdebug("rgba  w=%d h=%d %p", 512, 512, &img);
		break;
	case GLUT_KEY_F4 :
		// Try to use imdebug to render directly from the depth buffer
		imdebugDepth(0,0,512,512);
		break;
	case GLUT_KEY_F5 :
		printf("Read pixel from screen (color buffer?) into imdebug");
		imdebugPixels(0,0,512,512,GL_RGBA);
		break;
}

Any and all answers are much appreciated! Regards, Gazoo
Advertisement
If you don't want your colors to be clamped to 0-1 you need to use floating point buffer format. But if you use a floating point texture render target and render that texture you should be able to get around it that way since the data should be saved outside the 0-1 limit.
Ok - so technically it should be possible to get some values that are not clamped... That's at least encouraging... Now if only I could figure out why my program crashes when I try to read the texture using the above code...

Regards,

Gazoo
Well - the reason for the program crashing was of course my own doing. I provided imdebug with an OpenGL pointer to the texture and not a pointer to local memory where an array filled with "pixels" awaited. As a result it read the openGL pointer and kept going into memory that it wasn't allowed to read, which lead to a crash...

I still haven't figured out why reading directly from the depth buffer gives me a completely white image...

Regards,

Gazoo
Does this thread help?
Depth buffer values are indeed clamped, but into a [0,1] range as a floating point value (16 or 24bit depending on hardware and requested depth). If you want unclampped data outside of the [0,1] range then you need to use floating point textures or render targets as render targets for the FBO.
Hey,

Thanks for the replies... One further question thou... In the "OpenGL Frame Buffer Object 101" tutorial, you start off with attaching a depthbuffer to the FBO... I have messed around with the code a bit and I am lead to believe that that the depthbuffer doesn't really influence or affect the rendering to a texture by use of the same FBO.

Is this correct? I assume the depth buffer is only in the tutorial in order to show that it is possible to use the FBO to render into an existing buffer instead of a texture?

Regards,

Gazoo
Nope, the depth buffer is attached so that you can do depth culling on objects rendered to the FBO just as you would when rendering to the normal colour buffer when drawing.

So, it does affect what appears in the texture during the render, much how it affects what appears in the main framebuffer when you render 'normally'.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement