What do I need?

Started by
4 comments, last by biggjoee5790 17 years ago
I am curious as to what I will need when I eventually want to program my first game in Python. Im using IDLE as my interpreter by the way. Do I need a more advanced program or is IDLE fine? Also im guessing I have to download pygame, and then call it from IDLE. What else do I need to have in order to create a 2d game?
Advertisement
At a minimum, the standard Python distribution (which includes IDLE, you don't need anything fancier than that but are welcome to do so if you wish) and PyGame are all you'll need. You can optionally also use additional libraries for different/more functionality, but you probably won't be wanting to do that at least for your first game.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Ok so you dont need to download SDL or openGL or anything like that? Also what programs are good for creating graphics for the game? (2d of course)
Quote:
Also what programs are good for creating graphics for the game?

well my first answer would be google ;) i'm sure you can find what you want on the internet, and if it's only for educational/personal purposes then theres no harm in ripping off spirte sheets.

other than that whatever it is you use to make images, for me it's paint since i'm artisticly devoid.

Quote:Original post by biggjoee5790
I am curious as to what I will need when I eventually want to program my first game in Python. Im using IDLE as my interpreter by the way. Do I need a more advanced program or is IDLE fine? Also im guessing I have to download pygame, and then call it from IDLE. What else do I need to have in order to create a 2d game?

IDLE isn't your interpreter, it's your IDE, meaning Integrated Development Environment. It's just an editor that helps you write and test Python programs. All the actual work and interpreting is done by Python.

PyGame is a library for Python that gives you access to 2D game functions. You can use PyGame from within your Python programs to make 2D games. It doesn't matter whether you write those programs in IDLE or not.

Ok thanks for the info. I guess Ill worry more about this stuff when Im actually ready to do it :) Until then Ill just keep learning.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement