[.net] Trouble getting into 3D (C# and XNA)

Started by
5 comments, last by Calin 17 years ago
I migrated to C# and XNA from Java a few weeks ago. I've followed a few XNA tutorials for 3D graphics but I don't really understand the fundamentals of XNA. Can someone please recommend a book for people new to 3D graphics and XNA? THanks.
Advertisement
David Weller recently posted a list of books on XNA that are scheduled to come out soon. General 3D graphics books are a lot more common, though if you're new to the subject they might not be too valuable without XNA source code and explaining XNA key concepts.

I guess your best bet is to wait for those books and check out some internet tutorials in the meantime to see what you can learn from them. If you need a solid math primer, I recommend this one. There are also plenty of XNA tutorial sites out there, Google should be able to fetch you quite a few. Also, don't forget to check out the documentation (the XNA docs are a good start, but the C++ docs from the DirectX SDK can provide some more in-depth information) and the recently opened official XNA creators site.

Hope this helps getting you started :)

[Edited by - remigius on March 20, 2007 1:59:29 AM]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
The first book in the list on Dave's site is excellent, but quickly gets into more advanced code. You'll be knee deep in shaders by the end of it. [grin]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I wouldn't have expected any less from Benjamin's book [smile]

Would you say it appeals to the MDX veteran who is looking for an thorough XNA reference and math behind lighting models as well?
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
It's far from a thorough XNA reference. It's more of a "here's what you do to get the game done" type thing more than anything else (although there's a lot of shader info that isn't game specific), but considering the games that are done along the way, it's top notch at what it does.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Quote:Original post by remigius
I wouldn't have expected any less from Benjamin's book [smile]

Would you say it appeals to the MDX veteran who is looking for an thorough XNA reference and math behind lighting models as well?

I'm using Xna at the moment (but not game studio), and I've also used MDX previously. Pretty much everything I didn't know already I was able extrapolate from my knowledge of MDX. Xna is different, but not different like OGL is different from MDX. Just a little different (I think)! Not enough to warrant the purchase of a book at least.

And if you're looking for math, I'd go for a more generalized computer graphics book than one that focuses on Xna.
Quote:Original post by jetrii
I migrated to C# and XNA from Java a few weeks ago. I've followed a few XNA tutorials for 3D graphics but I don't really understand the fundamentals of XNA. Can someone please recommend a book for people new to 3D graphics and XNA? THanks.

XNA is not the only option if you're looking to make 3D games using C#. There are many game libraries/engines that have NET wrappers (i.e Mogre for Ogre )

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement