Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

std::for_each on standard C++ array works?

silvermace    634
I honestly expected some kind of "non-container type" error.. but this compiles and runs on VC++ 2005 and g++ 3.4.2 (mingw) Is this allowed (see: good form/practice) ? I mean, it's cool if it isn't and it's cool if it is... but anyone know for sure? (I've google'd and all the examples I find use std::vector's)
#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>

class A 
{
private:
	long x;
public:
	void set(long x) { this->x = x; }
	const long get() const { return this->x; }
};

struct functor {
	void operator()(A& vs) const 
		{ std::cout << vs.get() << ", "; }
};

int main()
{	
	A* ar = new A[32];
	for(int i=0; i<32; i++ )
		ar[i].set((long)((i+1)*(i+1)));

std::for_each( ar, ar + 32, functor() );

delete [] ar;
	return 0;
} 

produces the expected output: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100, 121, 144, 169, 196, 225, 256, 289, 324, 361, 400, 441, 484, 529, 576, 625, 676, 729, 784, 841, 900, 961, 1024, which is interesting. g++ -W -Wall test.cc -otest no warnings, no errors. cl /EHsc test.cc no warnings, no errors.

0xFFFF0000    163
The standard says it all really.

Quote:

Since iterators are an abstraction of pointers, their semantics is a generalization of most of the semantics of pointers in C + +. This ensures that every function template that takes iterators works as well with regular pointers.

The algorithms will make use of the iterator_traits template which has a specialization for pointers.

Zahlman    1682
It's perfectly good form (at least insofar as using the array in the first place is good form ;) ) and the library is specifically designed to make sure this sort of thing works. :)

silvermace    634
thats eff'ing brilliant [smile], and yep Zahlman I appreciate the fact that the array should actually be a container anyway, this was just some random experimentation.

Thanks for the replies, Rateage++

-Danu