Sign in to follow this  
Muxa

Multiply devices restoring

Muxa    122
I'm using two devices: one in fullscreen mode and another in windowed mode. I want to restore them, after losing devices (D3DERR_DEVICELOST). And I get an error: can't reset device, then another device is in fullscreen mode. The root of this problem is the fact, that the fullscreen device restores before the windowed one, and direct3D can't restore windowed device. So, changing the order of devices restoring is the best way I find to avoid the problem, but I couldn't surmise how to do that :( The question is: how to restore such devices in a proper way? [Edited by - Muxa on March 20, 2007 3:45:27 AM]

Evil Steve    2017
I'm not sure if this is even possible - I haven't heard of anyone trying a fullscreen and windowed device. Have you tried two fullscreen devices (I know that could be a bit of a debugging nightmare though)?

ET3D    810
I don't have much experience with that, but reading "Multiple-Monitor Operations" (or "Working with Multiple Monitor Systems", which describes the same thing), it looks like if you create the second device as described there, it shouldn't have this problem. On the other hand, if you don't, then it should always be in a lost state.

If you're doing things right, but D3D still behaves wrongly, you might want to provide more info on what you're doing, or send a simple reproduction case to directx@microsoft.com.

Another option is to create your "full screen" device as a borderless window. You'll lose some performance, but you won't have a full screen device, which might make things easier.