Sign in to follow this  
DirectXGuru

Persistent Data Storage in 3D Games

DirectXGuru    108
Hello, What would happen if somebody decided to develop a client/server application with graphics of a 3D Game? I mean I want to save all of my game related data then which technique or database I have to use.What is the optimal method for storing data in 3D Games.I am currently using SQL Server.Is it right or not or should I use some other technique.Plz let me know the recommended way to store data in 3D Games. thanks and regards.

Evil Steve    2017
None. Databases aren't really designed to store huge chunks of binary data.

Why on earth are you doing this anyway? Not only is it not very practical, but it'll be pretty innefficient too. Most games have a gigabyte or so of game data - are you really going to send that to every user over the Internet? If you're worried about someone stealing your assets, this won't stop anyone for more than 10-15 minutes. All they need to do is hook D3D and read out the vertex / texture data when it's sent to D3D...

If this is for content delivery, like Steam or something, then you could just keep the files on disk, either as individual files or in some basic pack file format. That'll certainly be more efficient than using a database.